• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone running two contracts simultaneously,one inside,one outside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you should check the employment contract of your new job. You might not be allowed to take on a contract on the the side.
    And if you are going to do work for the other party in works time make sure both parties know the situation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

you should check the employment contract of your new job. You might not be allowed to take on a contract on the the side.
      Is an Umbrella situation one of Employment?

I thought Umbrella merely meant A Contract with a different tax structure. Only asking as, currently, never been through Umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Man you are struggling to start one let alone two. Guess you are gonna keep us busy in the coming months.
        lol, agreed to do some work for a friend with a startup from summer on

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Is an Umbrella situation one of Employment?

I thought Umbrella merely meant A Contract with a different tax structure. Only asking as, currently, never been through Umbrella.
          It's the whole concept of an umbrella and absolutely fundamental. They are your employer.

Contractors should know basics like this even if they haven't used one, particulary with last April and next April coming. To be heading in to the new future of our careers not knowing how the other option works at this level is beyond ridiculous.

Might have been worth trying Google first to save yourself some embarrassment.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 29 January 2021, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's the whole concept of an umbrella and absolutely fundamental. They are your employer.

Contractors should know basics like this even if they haven't used one, particulary with last April and next April coming. To be heading in to the new future of our careers not knowing how the other option works at this level is beyond ridiculous.

Might have been worth trying Google first to save yourself some embarrassment.
            what would you do if he wasn't embarrassing himself?

Simesy gotta simes.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Even contractors who haven't experienced Umbrella? It really was all there, baked right in to the bloody text.

And yes, if Google was all that was required, then the whole raison d'etre of this show-offy forum would be redundant.

We're all just having a conversation, right? No one gets points for proving existing knowledge and shaming individuals who Actually Ask Questions. I really thought the whole essence of the internet was to 'share information', every one gets to stand on the shoulders of giants.

Anyway fellas, whatever blows your hair back. Have a good weekend.

Comment

Even contractors who haven't experienced Umbrella? It really was all there, baked right in to the bloody text.

And yes, if Google was all that was required, then the whole raison d'etre of this show-offy forum would be redundant.

We're all just having a conversation, right? No one gets points for proving existing knowledge and shaming individuals who Actually Ask Questions. I really thought the whole essence of the internet was to 'share information', every one gets to stand on the shoulders of giants.

all well and good but you were offering advice to the OP without actually understanding the basics of what an umbrella is.
                So it would be unreasonable/misleading to NOT call you out on it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

all well and good but you were offering advice to the OP without actually understanding the basics of what an umbrella is.
                  So it would be unreasonable/misleading to NOT call you out on it.
                  Sorry Lance, but I Was Not offering advice at all. I was Asking A Question. Line one had a question mark, line two had the word 'asking'.
                  All of which did not need a snotty response. Reread my words please.

But now, newly educated, I must say, you are demonstrating contrariness to the nth degree with this thinking. Double Standards, Hypocrisy, Cake and Eat it mentality. I will explain.

Whenever some poor soul comes on to this forum, new to contracting, contract in hand, he's just been let go over night, and he is asking the voluble populace, 'What about my month's notice?' we all say, me included, 'Forget the contract, all they have to say is 'We've no more work to offer' ', thereby mitigating the entire reason for a Notice period to even be in the contract.

We say, 'Be a contractor, you are in business, don't burn relationship bridges. Get another contract now, be invited back to this place in good time.' Real contractors know this, real contractors perform this.

Let us say OP is one such person, for the purposes of this friendly chat. Whether we like it or not, and contrary to the HMRC saying, 'Real contractors will not be affected by all this,' they are; we are. And we will continue to be so.

And now, This is my advice:

If OP IS in business, and has a heritage of ignoring contractual notice periods, then FFS, he may have some earning catching up to do. I know I do. So, take the Umbrella 'job', take the LtdCo contract, they are both short term, get on with both, and make 'em work. And what people aren't told, won't hurt them. Be in business even if it skirts round a few letters of contract because really, what is the worst that can happen - to an In Business Contractor?

But standing on a pedestal saying, Ignore contractual notice periods, but, Pay attention to Employee contracts, just smacks of something undecisive.

Comment

You've said you've been on the bench 10 months and all the gigs you see are inside. How can you not understand the basics of what a brolly does when you are sitting their looking at inside gigs? How can you be in an industry thats facing upheaval and not understand how you get paid? If you'd been heads down in an outside gig thats gonna roll on I can get it but when you've been looking for work for 10 months and it's all inside it's inexcusable.

And now, This is my advice:

If OP IS in business, and has a heritage of ignoring contractual notice periods, then FFS, he may have some earning catching up to do. I know I do. So, take the Umbrella 'job', take the LtdCo contract, they are both short term, get on with both, and make 'em work. And what people aren't told, won't hurt them. Be in business even if it skirts round a few letters of contract because really, what is the worst that can happen - to an In Business Contractor?

But standing on a pedestal saying, Ignore contractual notice periods, but, Pay attention to Employee contracts, just smacks of something undecisive.
                    You've just be called out for not knowing what an umbrella is and you are offering advice in the same breath. Good one.

Comment

I have been purposely looking at Only Outside gigs because my LtdCo has other interests and other investments that require continued earning through, and only through, that same vehicle.

In this one post, you have again demonstrated, for all your posturing, that you are not in business, that you are a warm weather only contractor so long as you have a following wind.

Unfortunately, the only wind you're subjected to is that which is self generated. No, I am not interested in Brolly solutions because that is not my requirement. Hence my questions as to what others might do.

Are you really suggesting that you have an infinite knowledge for all others' business interests and needs across the entire business world? It's a rhetorical question. There is really no need to answer that.

As for my advice, subject to being newly informed about a Brolly situation, anyone can take it, or leave it. I am in business and I will take chances. You, seemingly being a complete flake in the business world, interested only in a self served hand job after feeling important to an invisible audience about something both unimportant and unencouraging, is a lonely job. Take care. If you're not already chaffed...

Comment

Working...
                      X