• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Woodrow Mercer - IR35 Webinar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    What part of the client issuing an SDS (or avoiding contractors altogether) didn't you understand?
    None of it thanks.

You can speculate all you like about what might emerge in N years, but the legislation from 6 April is what it is.
    That rather depends what you do for a living. Are you one of the 0.5m or so freelance contractors in IT and Engineering depending on BigCo support or one of the 4.5m who don't? Or someone with a network that gets you work as an external supplier? And yes I know this is an IT contractor's forum.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I just don't think the contractor market is going to die - shrink yes and many who jumped on the bandwagon will fall off with the turbulence.

The fact remains if you are skilled, experienced, knowledgeable and demonstrate value there will always be work - that need has never gone away in the years since IR35 was introduced.

We will ride this out!

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
        I just don't think the contractor market is going to die - shrink yes and many who jumped on the bandwagon will fall off with the turbulence.

The fact remains if you are skilled, experienced, knowledgeable and demonstrate value there will always be work - that need has never gone away in the years since IR35 was introduced.

We will ride this out!
        The work will be there - it is just that the only work being offered will be inside IR35 - companies won't be willing to take the risk on HMRC deciding to make them a test case.

If it hadn't been for Covid I would have expected some companies would eventually find it difficult to recruit people so would end up having to go outside but I don't think that's the case now. A lot of the agencies call I've had have discouraged that hope.
        Last edited by eek; 19 November 2020, 16:12.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The work will be there - it is just that the only work being offered will be inside IR35 - companies won't be willing to take the risk on HMRC deciding to make them a test case.
          This; it's not that contracting will be dead, but contracts available via Ltd companies will be decimated (even veering towards the literal sense, in that I'd not be surprised if just 10% of contracts remain allowed via a PSC).
          Last edited by Paralytic; 19 November 2020, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            That rather depends what you do for a living. Are you one of the 0.5m or so freelance contractors in IT and Engineering depending on BigCo support or one of the 4.5m who don't? Or someone with a network that gets you work as an external supplier? And yes I know this is an IT contractor's forum.
            What part of small companies and overseas companies didn't you understand? Personally, I mainly work for the latter, but let's not pretend that the market isn't going to fundamentally change for a majority, and very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              This; it's not that contracting will be dead, but contracts available via Ltd companies will be decimated (even veering towards the literal sense, in that I'd not be surprised if just 10% of contracts remain allowed via a PSC).
              The irony is that I can currently scare any agency with the new S61o and all the notes HMRC are sending out about umbrellas to the extent that some really would insist on a PSC and deemed payments rather than allowing umbrellas to be involved.

Comment

What part of small companies and overseas companies didn't you understand? Personally, I mainly work for the latter, but let's not pretend that the market isn't going to fundamentally change for a majority, and very soon.
                Again, all of it, hanks for asking.

Lots of people do work for small companies and overseas clients - next door but two is wrapping up a piece of work in his garden office for a client in Singapore, for example - and he would call himself a freelance IT contractor.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Again, all of it, hanks for asking.

Lots of people do work for small companies and overseas clients - next door but two is wrapping up a piece of work in his garden office for a client in Singapore, for example - and he would call himself a freelance IT contractor.
                  Well, good for him. You seem to have disagreed with my point, unpacked each element of it and then agreed with each element. Curious behavior

From 6 April 2021, BoS contracting is no longer a viable business model. Contracting remains a viable business model for a fraction of people, specifically those for whom the client issues an SDS that is outside, those who provide services to small companies, and those who provide services to fully overseas supply chains (no client or fee payer in the UK).

It is a statement of fact that it is only about "you" in the last two instances. In the first, the client issues an SDS.

Comment

Well, good for him. You seem to have disagreed with my point, unpacked each element of it and then agreed with each element. Curious behavior

From 6 April 2021, BoS contracting is no longer a viable business model. Contracting remains a viable business model for a fraction of people, specifically those for whom the client issues an SDS that is outside, those who provide services to small companies, and those who provide services to fully overseas supply chains (no client or fee payer in the UK).

It is a statement of fact that it is only about "you" in the last two instances. In the first, the client issues an SDS.
                    and even then only if the small company is not providing services to companies operating a blanket ban

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      and even then only if the small company is not providing services to companies operating a blanket ban
                      Yes, good point.

Comment

Working...
                      X