• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did you do this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Brilliantly

Nonstop work across clients with no gaps, work into 2021.
    A mortgage holiday for a bit
    No travel expenses
    Good rates
    Not having to sit with difficult clients

2020 has turned out to be quite the boom year for MyCo which just goes to show that you never can tell.
    Why take a mortgage holiday if you were raking in the dough? Was your work in doubt early on and you figured better to play things safe?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Managed to invoice up until July and then the contract ended...

Summer out and then started work on a start up from October - Perm role and I should be getting shares soon.

Overall a successful 2020 but had to ditch contracting to make it that way.

Not sure what 2021 brings. Might end up being the total reverse if the start up runs out of money in June

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Why take a mortgage holiday if you were raking in the dough? Was your work in doubt early on and you figured better to play things safe?
        Exactly that. I'd finished up with one client just as the world started going mad so thought I'd take the holiday. In the end I got a contract soon after and worked through to the end of the year.

Never a bad idea to cut before you really have to! I was imagining a nightmare scenario where I got no work all year (or, years) and wishing I'd been able to keep back mortgage payment * 12.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I couldn't believe it when I realised I earned more in 2020 than in 2019.

In both 2019 and '20 I managed to work for only around 8 months a year, but in 2020 my rate was higher and April onwards no hotel costs or train fares.

On the downside, totally dysfunctional projects and clients in 2020, half the time not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

(Detractors might say I've never had the slightest idea what the hell I'm doing)

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
            I couldn't believe it when I realised I earned more in 2020 than in 2019.

In both 2019 and '20 I managed to work for only around 8 months a year, but in 2020 my rate was higher and April onwards no hotel costs or train fares.

On the downside, totally dysfunctional projects and clients in 2020, half the time not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

(Detractors might say I've never had the slightest idea what the hell I'm doing)
            at least it wasn't all the time.
            Did the client notice though? You only have to be one page ahead of them and you're brilliant.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              Exactly that. I'd finished up with one client just as the world started going mad so thought I'd take the holiday. In the end I got a contract soon after and worked through to the end of the year.

Never a bad idea to cut before you really have to! I was imagining a nightmare scenario where I got no work all year (or, years) and wishing I'd been able to keep back mortgage payment * 12.
              Totally agree. In fact I did the same; I was in a contract but had no idea what their clients might do and as virtually the only contractor in an established team of be the first one out. Plus my wife just launched a business start of 2020 which was looking very sketchy for a while!

As it transpired I ended up with more work but the sight peace of mind was worth it.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I billed as usual until the end of the 2019/20 tax year, having started a new contract in mid January. Then I moved on to a FTC as a result of the client, after various changes of mind, binning all LtdCo contractors. Luckily as several of us were working on a regulatory-critical project they put us all on salaries that had been calculated to give us the same take-home pay as we'd have earned under a LtdCo even after taking into account travel and accommodation. Then of course I've not had to be in the office at all since moving to FTC as a result of Covid, so I'm not having to shell out for all those expenses anyway.

All in all 2020 ended up being my best year since 2015. 2021 should, touch wood, continue in the same vein.

Comment

Working...
                X