• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Consultancy cutting rates by 40%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
    This was my suspicion also.
    But how can I find out?
    What can you do about it if you do?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
      Market rates in my skill set contracts haven't gone down by 40%.
      10-15% at the most.
      That's good news. Simple solution is therefore to decline this contract and go and get one that is just 10-15% below your normal rate.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        That's good news. Simple solution is therefore to decline this contract and go and get one that is just 10-15% below your normal rate.
        Bizarre the OP started this thread saying rate for this job had been cut by 40% below the norm, later posted rates for their discipline havent been cut by 40% but is still going ahead with the application for the 40% lower role they first posted about!

        Comment


          #24
          If it was a decent rate originally and you can now strip costs from your revenue - costs = profit equation then 60% of good rate is better than 100% of no rate. Up to you how much you need the work and would get bored staying at home. Take it but keep actively looking is the third way.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
            Market rates in my skill set contracts haven't gone down by 40%.
            10-15% at the most.
            That is rubbish. The fact that you (and i suppose others) went in for an interview at 40% below previous rate means that rates have gone down by 40%.

            Comment


              #26
              Maybe work 60% as hard as you normally would? I suspect the agent may be taking a bigger-than-usual cut also, they would see the current climate as the perfect chance to do this and blame the client.

              It also depends on how much you'd resent that sort of rate. Or if there's any marketable experience to be gained there that you can use in future contracts.

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                Maybe work 60% as hard as you normally would? I suspect the agent may be taking a bigger-than-usual cut also, they would see the current climate as the perfect chance to do this and blame the client.

                It also depends on how much you'd resent that sort of rate. Or if there's any marketable experience to be gained there that you can use in future contracts.
                Really? Any evidence of that or just your own personal desires - any sane consultancy will be using a fixed percentage with the agency especially in this market where agencies are looking for new work...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Really? Any evidence of that or just your own personal desires - any sane consultancy will be using a fixed percentage with the agency especially in this market where agencies are looking for new work...
                  Personal experience, actually. This was done to me in a previous downturn. I thought the client was underpaying me till I saw the agency invoice. Quite a lot off a daily rate for 8 months.

                  Not clear why it would relate to my 'personal desires'. Bizarre phrase to use under the circumstances. Currently working on a decent rate.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Lots of contracts at the moment that used to be in the 500-600 pd range, now advertised in the 300-350 range, one agnecy called me if I was interested at 250
                    I say yes to all of them as some income is better then none and I will dump them as soon as rates go up again.

                    The same happened with perm roles, where I saw 90k last year I see now 60k max
                    I did that but the moment I say to an agent I'm in a contract they lose interest completely. I say that in current climate jumping is not possible

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X