• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is not how you should interview a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not how you should interview a contractor!

Had an interview (developer role) for a software migration project which got cut short as soon as I started discovering problems with the project. It's obvious that the only purpose of the interview was to see if I fit their criteria and not vice versa. I really hate this as a contractor.

I asked him questions about the migration approach, but he wasn't able to answer them; he said I will have to speak to the developer for answers (but it’s a one stage interview and the developer is not on the call!) - I asked how complex the product is, and I'm told quite complex. What does quite complex mean without me seeing it? I wanted details but I wasn't really getting much from him.

I asked him more questions and it soon revealed many problems; Lack of a strategy, piss poor agile practices (3 month sprint!), team has no experience of the new framework etc...

I was also told I’d be mentoring their very junior developer and was given a firm no, if I wanted to get a contractor on board who I’ve worked with before (on a migration project) if additional help was required (potential IR35 issue here).

After a bit more talking and questions he came across as a bit "thrown off" and I was getting one worded answers. It was then time for me to do the 30 minute coding challange! But he cut the interview short and tried putting it on me, that I’m getting nervous about the complexity of the project, in a condescending manner.

I couldn't believe he had the nerve to say that. These guys are putting a huge liability on a single person. What if the project goes wrong? They said they're Scrum but the product owner is a grey area!

In the end we agreed that our expectations are not in line with each other and called it quits.

Complete bunch of idiots.

Sounds like both parties dodged a bullet.

Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity to shine missed if I'm being honest with you.

Chance to almost start from scratch, get a product owner in place, get a decent product backlog, explain how scrum should work, the whole lot.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hang on. You asked how complex the product is and the complained that as you can't see the product you can't tell how complex it is and therefore didn't like the reply of "quite complex"? That makes no sense.

I think you had a bad interview and are trying to make yourself feel better by rationalising the parts that didn't go as well as you'd hoped.

Comment

Interviews are useless for both parties. The only thing you can use them to gauge is "would I hate to be sat next to this person every day". You work the rest out in your first 2 weeks.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

If you are unsure of the project why not ask for a second interview with devs on the call to hear more about the technical details of the project?

It is usual for interviewers to not have answers in specific cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Hang on. You asked how complex the product is and the complained that as you can't see the product you can't tell how complex it is and therefore didn't like the reply of "quite complex"? That makes no sense.

I think you had a bad interview and are trying to make yourself feel better by rationalising the parts that didn't go as well as you'd hoped.
              "Quite complex" is a relative term, how am I supposed to understand the scope of the project? He could have said it's quite complex, there are x number of controllers and x number of services, something like that could have helped put things into context - But there were no details coming from him.

Before I undertake a supposdely big migration project, it's very important for me to understand what I'm getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by cyborg1337 View Post
                "Quite complex" is a relative term, how am I supposed to understand the scope of the project? He could have said it's quite complex, there are x number of controllers and x number of services, something like that could have helped put things into context - But there were no details coming from him.

Before I undertake a supposdely big migration project, it's very important for me to understand what I'm getting into.
                What would have satisfied you? Very, average, fairly?
                One person's complex might only be because they haven't done something before.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  What would have satisfied you? Very, average, fairly?
                  One person's complex might only be because they haven't done something before.
                  Either seeing the project (which I asked if possible on a screen-share) or speaking to a dev about the project or getting some hard facts that I can quantify would have satisfied me.

Comment

One of the main reason contractors are called in is to help sort out distressed projects, particularly in the current market. There isn't much need to bring in outside resources if everything is going to plan.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X