• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is not how you should interview a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all have shocking interviews from time to time, I certainly have, but at the moment I would be nodding along to anything if it got me a few months of billing.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Not quite sure how I am unprofessional. I get tulip done, if that's what you consider unprofessional than I guess I am in your eyes.

For what it's worth I also primarily do erp data migrations and I've yet to walk into a contract that had good documentation. I have primarily worked on mid range erp projects though, doing a business central one right now migrating from a no name erp system that's running on a 30 year old version of an informix database.

At least 50% of my projects I am migrating from systems that don't have a data dictionary and I have to define and map the data myself. Quite often 90% of the people (sometimes everyone but me) involved in the project have never done a erp migration before.

It's fun, you just gotta to with the flow. Enjoy the ride.

I guess I am taking the tulip contracts no one else wants? Lol I would have probably gladly took the contract you interviewed for if I wasn't in contract right now.
      This. You're generally migrating off something because it's old, not very supportable, no longer fit for purpose or a combination thereof.
      Even more so where bespoke systems were all the rage 15-20 years ago and are now reaching end of life and an olf-the-shelf solution seems more sensible.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

It's fun, you just gotta to with the flow. Enjoy the ride.

I guess I am taking the tulip contracts no one else wants? Lol I would have probably gladly took the contract you interviewed for if I wasn't in contract right now.
        Nope, you're not taking the contracts no one wants, you're taking the contracts where you have to think. You base the evolving solution on your experience, you get to learn, you leave the project knowing more than when you started and can take that knowledge on to the next place.

When I read about people saying they know it all and everyone must do things exactly the same way, who never learn anything positive from a contract - well they are the ones I wouldn't want to work with on a job. I need to know I've got people with me who are interested, who can think for themselves, who can discuss ideas and take suggestions from others. And the great thing is that you CAN get all that from an interview.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
        X