• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biting The Bullet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Not seen a calculator for two company directors - do you know of one?
    NLUK's accountant.

It's one of those things where you get too many variables. Is the second director earning anything else? Are they working for the company? Pension pot, etc.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Ah. Either they're using a scheme or there's a second director (e.g. spouse) who's not working elsewhere and they're doing the dual tax break thing.
      Single director, no schemes, all clean / transparent, all variables openly given on prev. pages.. IDK where your theories are coming from, so many participants here have a very strange imagination..
      probably lack of knowledge in relevant field. (but I'm sure you're pro contractors in your area of specialization), for instance I would be absolutely useless in area of microbiology imagining crazy things too (without base knowledge/background).. Without right knowledge/expertise in many areas simple logic isn't enough, so people start to see conspiracy theories everywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri F View Post
        Single director, no schemes, all clean / transparent, all variables openly given on prev. pages.. IDK where your theories are coming from, so many participants here have a very strange imagination..
        probably lack of knowledge in relevant field. (but I'm sure you're pro contractors in your area of specialization), for instance I would be absolutely useless in area of microbiology imagining crazy things too (without base knowledge/background).. Without right knowledge/expertise in many areas simple logic isn't enough, so people start to see conspiracy theories everywhere..
        Why don't you write it down in a format that we can actually understand, then? Given near enough everybody here runs a Ltd Co, knows how much they make per day and knows how much they take home does it not occur to you for a second that either you're wrong, or there's some misunderstanding here?
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 15:00.

Comment

[QUOTE=vwdan;2760459]Why don't you write it down in a format that we can actually understand, then? Given near enough everybody here runs a Ltd Co, knows how much they make per day and knows how much they take home does it not occur to you for a second that either you're wrong, or there's some misunderstanding here?

We 're discussing/debating my calcs vs yours in HMRC rates domain, not somebody else (whatever their wrongs are)

Answer was given to you from very beginning:
          ...I've taken 252 working days in 2020, you're referring to 240, 10 days is not a big difference anyway
          (I thankfully don't get sick, not really taking holidays in classical sense but some breaks between contracts are inevitable).
          the only thing here - take home (salary of say £14K, rest - dividends) with 252 working days year (gross revenues of £136K incl. VAT) will land you on £88.7K net (the rest on taxes: £20K VAT, £1.3K NI {both ends}, Salary IT £180, £19K CT, £1K exp. {incl. insurance}, £6K div{tax}/CGT {not in one go, spread across professional activity/pension years for efficiency, earning income as investment while sitting in Ltd acc.}, £46.3K on taxes in total)...
          My question was where is a deviation (with many here running Co/Ltd-s and being accountants?) between my and your calculations? What tax category you disagree with?

Because pointers are everywhere: intertemporal transfer, dividend allocation, tax bands, additionally for more clarity I can bring in "retained earnings" and from your calculator link "I split the dividend and receive"

while CT should be paid from annual profit, dividend tax (income tax) doesn't have to, simply (as already stated before) because nobody in right mind would cross £50K (this year) tax band (from 7.5% into 32.5%, therefore voluntary paying extra 25 percentage points) without being really desperate (for some urgent reasons, whatever these are), stock market doesn't provide such high return on average to compensate this huge voluntary loss (and I'm not talking about outlier-profits from investments this March/April, because of a bottom&recovery nature of it)
          I do expect my professional abilities and income to fall in my 50s and situation will deteriorate even worse in my 60s, but efficient tax band and dividend flow from retained earning will keep coming despite being out of work, for instance I have a freedom not to work (poor market situation) for a year right now - while still getting my £50K (from retained earnings)..
          In economics (as already mentioned on first pages) - this is called intertemporal transfer of income if I remember correctly, as contractors/business we do have this advantage over perm employees (although they have something similar - called pension, with matching, etc.)
          And guess what? Retained earning can be invested and earn returns too..

As already pointed out - it's all just simple first-grade math covered by basic finance/business-studies course in any uni..

Geesh, these are basic things!!! what's wrong with you guys?

As for remarks by others about so many running companies that's why majority is right ... well I've seen it so many times all around, even though in professional life we have to follow the rules (at least pretend to agree) - but in reality I never accepted this dogma as granted, without testing hypothesis first..
          so many companies I was with were on a stone-age level with this approach following common beliefs.
          But tbh - I'm happy with this, that's why I'm hired, to change/improve/transform many things caused by such culture..
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 15:00.

Comment

Jesus Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Jesus Christ.
              It's fascinating, in a way.

Comment

P.S. in short - difference is in instead of asking question "how to pay?" focus for efficiency should be on "when to pay?" (and in a way - how much)..

that's why we do have all this hassle every year with last moment dividend payments in march/first week of april - to efficiently balance tax bands.

simples.
                Last edited by Yuri F; 14 April 2020, 15:09.

Comment

P.S. in short - difference is in instead of asking question "how to pay?" focus for efficiency is on "when to pay?"..
                  simples.

Not quite.

The difference is between the figures most people use calculate things and how you do.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

not really just me - most of professionals I'm in long business contact with do the same, I've asked this question about 10 years ago and from those who shared some info - was initially a bit surprised why they limit the pay, understanding came with first SA.. You're saying ..20+yrs contracting.., but it's your business how to run it, taxation is merely distributive system deciding/allocating between who earns it and who spends it, I totally support your charity decision, they definitely should know better how to spend it.

have everyone fully topped up isas already this year and sipps last?
                    Last edited by Yuri F; 14 April 2020, 15:23.

Comment

I think someone has just got a new book for their birthday

Yuri, you're not really telling anyone here anything they don't already know. You're just saying it in more words that don't make sense.
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 14 April 2020, 15:34.

Comment

Working...
                      X