• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Would it be fair to say PM ( or Product Owner or whatever faddy title is en vogue today ) is a higher risk category than say a developer due to the nature of the role lending itself to tighter client integration unless you're very, very careful in both contract terms and working practices?
    Ignoring the fact that PM and PO are completely different roles, in most organisations I've been in, the contract developers have been more aligned to the employed developers (try to stop the difference!) than the PMs.

It looks like Nationwide truly threw this contractor under the bus by effectively saying they treated him like an employee. So, its not your working practices that are important, it what the client thinks (and says) your working practices are.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      What in the next 32 days before the new rules kick in on April 6th and all banks adopt blanket bans on PSCs to avoid risk...
      Thank you great help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        I'm looking at this chap's linkedin profile as we speak.

In 12 years as a contractor, he only ever worked for 2 clients, both banks, with the longest stint being over 5 years.

Permietractor gets what permietractor deserves.

Loads of people are in the same situation at my current client (bank also). Fun times coming...
        But he's now also potentially shafted many other contractors trying to act like contractors if anyone uses this as case law.

If permiecontractors got what permiecontractors deserved we might not have needed April2020.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But he's now also potentially shafted many other contractors trying to act like contractors if anyone uses this as case law.

If permiecontractors got what permiecontractors deserved we might not have needed April2020.

HMRC were always going to go for it.

Comment

MOO is not a weak indicator IMO.
            But it could be in two varieties:

1. No MOO to extend the contract beyond the end of the current contract or you to accept such extension.

2. No MOO to provide work to you for every day during the current contract or you to be working every day.

I think 2 is a good indicator (along with paid only for days worked clause) for outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Failed on all three:

166. On balance, I find that the hypothetical contracts required by the Intermediaries
              Legislation between Mr Lee and Nationwide would be ones of employment. Accordingly,
              this appeal is dismissed
              Can he go back and ask for three years of holiday pay?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I wonder who would that anyone be? Ohh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Ignoring the fact that PM and PO are completely different roles, in most organisations I've been in, the contract developers have been more aligned to the employed developers (try to stop the difference!) than the PMs.

It looks like Nationwide truly threw this contractor under the bus by effectively saying they treated him like an employee. So, its not your working practices that are important, it what the client thinks (and says) your working practices are.
                  I was more thinking along the lines of being engaged to develop a specific part of Project X as per statement of work. Chances are with a properly written contract that's not necessarily something aimed at lasting years, can be short term. In terms of integration, pushing to a CI/CD pipeline shouldn't cause much of a problem whereas PMs are more embedded ithin business imo.

Sounds like his working practices were inside from what I've read. If the client thinks your working practices are inside and contractor makes zero attempt to correct, then contractor is at major risk because they are engaging in working practices outside contractual terms. I've had this with a contract where client demanded my company perform support services, at no time mentioned during procurement process. When it was pointed out support services were outside terms of contract, that they would need to provide further information about the nature of the support required and contract amendment / new contract in place, was terminated. Now, I've no worries about an IR35 issue due to my company working as per contract and NOT additional duties - so client expectations which different to expected working practices not followed plus clear financial risk demonstrated.

All the above is obviously my opinion and probably will be picked apart by greater minds than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
                    MOO is not a weak indicator IMO.
                    But it could be in two varieties:

1. No MOO to extend the contract beyond the end of the current contract or you to accept such extension.

2. No MOO to provide work to you for every day during the current contract or you to be working every day.

I think 2 is a good indicator (along with paid only for days worked clause) for outside IR35.
                    We are looking for lack of MoO which means the there is no obligation to provide further work AFTER the work contracted has finished. This is where long term contractors can look bad. Ask a PM two or three years on and most would be lying if they said they didn't expect to be given another project.

While in contract there are obligations as set out in the contract.

I don't think item 2 has much relevance or is much of a defense for MoO.. Or lack thereof.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Can he go back and ask for three years of holiday pay?
                      If only we had a poster on here who could tell him what needed to be done repeatedly even when completely irrelevant. (thankfully we don't anymore)..
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X