• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    4 months or 4 years makes no difference. All about contract and working conditions.

4 years just means you’re at risk of a much bigger tax bill if found you should have been paying PAYE and NI.

Yes, and that was the point, bigger returns for HMRC. So worth targeting if no other information available to differentiate.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      D'oh you're right.

Just that I haven't worked through an agency for the past few years

Still can't imagine HMRC doing that. Not because they wouldn't want to though.
      The most bombproof method of all - don't use an agent.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
        Well, if you work through an agency, the 2015 employment intermediary report filed by the agency would indicate a name and could be cross referenced to return your PSC details. If in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 the agency are still reporting that you are 'on the books' then they could have a good stab that you are on the same gig for 4 years. If HMRC were anywhere near organised of course. They'll then send a kind letter just asking you who your clients were in that period.
        A very large overseas owned managed service company is telling it's PSC contractors that it has never filed anything related to the contractors and claims it doesn't have to because it's not an agency. Now it's either being purposely misleading to dupe contractors into continuing on contracts or it is cheating the system. They have even have contracts managers doing one to ones and saying this stuff and that IR35 does not apply to people they place either through vague managed service contracts with clients.
        I've already left as I didn't trust them and found them inept but I have several former contracting colleagues that I class as friends that have their heads in the sand and are just continuing as is.

Anyone really know what the deal is on this? Are others finding agencies and intermediaries being misleading or being economical with the truth? Is this leading to contractors being blinded into staying in roles? Do these big companies have loopholes?

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBenchin2020 View Post
          A very large overseas owned managed service company is telling it's PSC contractors that it has never filed anything related to the contractors and claims it doesn't have to because it's not an agency. Now it's either being purposely misleading to dupe contractors into continuing on contracts or it is cheating the system. They have even have contracts managers doing one to ones and saying this stuff and that IR35 does not apply to people they place either through vague managed service contracts with clients.
          I've already left as I didn't trust them and found them inept but I have several former contracting colleagues that I class as friends that have their heads in the sand and are just continuing as is.

Anyone really know what the deal is on this? Are others finding agencies and intermediaries being misleading or being economical with the truth? Is this leading to contractors being blinded into staying in roles? Do these big companies have loopholes?
          This is a fantastic approach for the contractors (you should have stayed) as liability’s will transfer to end client / agent after 6th April

All good until the penny drops with end client

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            This is a fantastic approach for the contractors (you should have stayed) as liability’s will transfer to end client / agent after 6th April

we don't know if that's true though do we?
            How clients' outside the UK will be affected by trhe legislation is unclear. My bet is that the responsibiluty will stay with the contractor.
            So you're right in that it's good news, but for the wrong reasons
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

While this may be the case, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that car crash when it occurs.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                I should have said that there is no commitment from them this would stay the case. Very cagey about April and my take of it was they were just trying to keep resources from jumping ship by being misleading. My guess is the client will issue their determination for the roles and there will be a lot of arse covering and passing the blame. You can bet they won't look out for any of the contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tendido Cero
                  Yes, it’s a race to the bottom. Welcome to the zero hours contract economy.
                  it's a free market.
                  Skills with low supply will attract a higher price.
                  If your skills are in a race to the bottom, ie. high supply, it's time to change your skills (or kill your peers
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Business as usual for me - extension supported with outside determination.

Seemingly HR were initially very risk averse after engaging with a consultancy for advice, business then got involved as lots of people were saying they were off.

Bit of a re-visit with tweaks to working practices and some more grounded discussion with Agency (who have lots of prior experience with this in Public Sector) and now the picture looks more rosy.

I was outside from the start I'm told anyway. I say what days I'm in, have a sub (not used) and get zero direction - left to me to PM the projects I'm working on and no guarantee/obligation of other work.
                    Last edited by fatJock; 13 February 2020, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
                      Business as usual for me - extension supported with outside determination.

Seemingly HR were initially very risk averse after engaging with a consultancy for advice, business then got involved as lots of people were saying they were off.

Bit of a re-visit with tweaks to working practices and some more grounded discussion with Agency (who have lots of prior experience with this in Public Sector) and now the picture looks more rosy.

I was outside from the start I'm told anyway. I say what days I'm in, have a sub (not used) and get zero direction - left to me to PM the projects I'm working on and no guarantee/obligation of other work.
                      Why do you need to tweak working practices (or even have them) if the client has SDS you as outside (and you have this in writing)?

Comment

Working...
                      X