• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepted Perm offer but got contract extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    How long is the offered extension for?
    They said until summer, so I'll go on the assumption that its about 3 months.

Comment

You are forgetting the elephant in the room here. The extension is only short term. What are you going to do after. Its going to finish very early in the period after april hwn the market is going to be an utter disaster. The perm gig is gonna see you right through all that.

Look beyond this extension if you are trying to make a decision. Unless you are very good, have niche skills and are in demand I'd be taking the permie gig for the time being. Treat it like a short term poorly paid gig if you want. You can always duck back in to contracting in 6 months to a year if there is anything left. Much better than taking this gig, finding yourself on the bench in 3 months and zero work available.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
        So you'd leave mid contract, leaving the client in the lurch. Very unprofessional behaviour.

I've changed my mind: take the extension, leave mid contract and fingers crossed hmrc does a retrospective investigation on you. Contractors like you don't deserve any better.

Good luck.

Comment

Jeopardising your June start as well as leaving you as one of the low-hanging fruit if the HMRC retro-inspection squad pounces as expected.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You are forgetting the elephant in the room here. The extension is only short term. What are you going to do after. Its going to finish very early in the period after april hwn the market is going to be an utter disaster. The perm gig is gonna see you right through all that.

Look beyond this extension if you are trying to make a decision. Unless you are very good, have niche skills and are in demand I'd be taking the permie gig for the time being. Treat it like a short term poorly paid gig if you want. You can always duck back in to contracting in 6 months to a year if there is anything left. Much better than taking this gig, finding yourself on the bench in 3 months and zero work available.
            Nah, he's not trying to decide between extension and permie job. He wants to take the extension and jump ship mid term.

Comment

So you'd leave mid contract, leaving the client in the lurch. Very unprofessional behaviour.

I've changed my mind: take the extension, leave mid contract and fingers crossed hmrc does a retrospective investigation on you. Contractors like you don't deserve any better.

Good luck.
              No, you must have misunderstood. Clients asked me to stay till summer, but I'd get them to issue a new 1 or 2 month contract. Not jumping ship mid-gig.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Jeopardising your June start as well as leaving you as one of the low-hanging fruit if the HMRC retro-inspection squad pounces as expected.
              Other company said I can start whenever I like, so wouldnt jeopardise it.

Nah, he's not trying to decide between extension and permie job. He wants to take the extension and jump ship mid term.
              See above.

Trying to figure out whether I can stay an extra month or two, whilst keeping the IR35 risk low. Clients very open-minded, so I want to bring suggestions to the table and be helpful in the meeting with them tomorrow.

Comment

Other company said I can start whenever I like, so wouldnt jeopardise it.
                So go. Don't be dicking around with the odd month here or there. If they do backtrack and get determined inside you've then got the worry of retrospective investigations. Take the job you are happy to do, go and watch contracting implode from the comfort of your perm role.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So go. Don't be dicking around with the odd month here or there. If they do backtrack and get determined inside you've then got the worry of retrospective investigations. Take the job you are happy to do, go and watch contracting implode from the comfort of your perm role.
                  Yes, I met with HR today. They're determining everyone inside.

They told me their external advising tax/law firm has reassured them, that contractors wont face any retrospective investigation or risk.

If a contractor were to carry on, is it more risky to continue as Inside or Outside IR35? Or both equally risky?

Comment

They told me their external advising tax/law firm has reassured them, that contractors wont face any retrospective investigation or risk.

If a contractor were to carry on, is it more risky to continue as Inside or Outside IR35? Or both equally risky?
                    Exactly ... leave, leave now. Delete any e-mails, meeting requests around the companies determination. - Deny all knowledge. - If queried say you never attended.

Comment

You need to apply some common sense and some of the knowledge you should have about IR35. Reading the forums, particularly the sticky designed to help with questions like this would help as well.
                      https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html

Is it more risky to continue inside? You've been doing a job that you think is outside, the client turns round and says no actually it's inside all along. What do you think?

Is it risky to continue outside? If you think it's outside and the client has carried out and proper assessment and concluded it's outside. This means the onus is now on them not the contractor. What you do you think?

You are about to hit the former of these unless you get out very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X