• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract is making me ill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract is making me ill

I have been contracting for 12 years and have always got well paid contracts with big brands. I have had a bit of recognition for my work and whenever a contract has ended they've asked me to stay on.

My luck has changed. I hate my current contract. Everything is a number 1 priority for my manager and he is not confrontational. He fired the previous contractor without letting him know until the day I started. That guy still doesn't know what he did wrong.

There is something about his management style that is actively getting in the way of me doing my work. It isn't just the long conversations it's this kind of erratic way of interrupting what I'm doing all the time and micro managing. All previous managers have let me get on with my work.

I am getting two hours sleep a night in my bloody minded determination to get all the impossible tasks done. I am exhausted. I know if I complain he will smile and pretend to care and then replace me instantly (the chap who got fired thought they were the best of mates) and I really need to find a new contract first.

Plus he already knows I'm exhausted. My face is practically green, I don't look well. Co workers comment on how I manage to work for someone who micromanages so much. I know it isn't just me. I was always so good at my job. Now I feel I CAN'T be. It's horrible.

My question is: if I leave how will I explain leaving to my next client? Should I put the 8 weeks I've worked here on my CV. Or leave it out and look like I've had a huge period of not working as that would be 6 months of not working then.

Agency chap seems a nice guy and was nice about the chap who got fired. But I don't know. Don't know what to do.

Oh and they're probably already looking for my replacement so I don't think staying is an option anyway.

You don't know what to do? It's very simple. You leave, as soon as possible. Don't worry about burning bridges if you have to either although with a guy like that he may try withhold your last payment or not sign your timesheet.

Put it in your CV and tell them you completed the work you came to do. It's as easy as that. No one will know and they won't go asking the old agent or old client. They will only give your start and end dates.

It's a very simple situation, which you need to sort as soon as you can.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You don't know what to do? It's very simple. You leave, as soon as possible. Don't worry about burning bridges if you have to either although with a guy like that he may try withhold your last payment or not sign your timesheet.

Put it in your CV and tell them you completed the work you came to do. It's as easy as that. No one will know and they won't go asking the old agent or old client. They will only give your start and end dates.

It's a very simple situation, which you need to sort as soon as you can.
      Agreed, leave it will have no impact on future contracts and when work has that effect its time to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I hate being defeated by this.

Comment

Originally posted by CalamityJane View Post
          It's not defeat.
          it's a tactical withdrawal.

just go.

maybe tell the twat what you think of him on the way out.
          subtly, of course

Comment

Contracts from hell do turn up every now and then. You know that there are better gigs out there as you've been fortunate enough to have them for most of your career by the sounds of it.

As NLUK said, you can put the 8 weeks down and say it was a short term project and make sure you word it that way on your CV so there is no ambiguity.

Your health (physical and mental) is worth more than any contract. If your finances can handle another break, take it. You're in no fit state to go out selling your services when your confidence has taken a bashing. Give notice, leave, book a week in the sun or whatever will take you away from the day to day and refresh you. When you come back, tap up those contacts you've made over the past 12 years. Use your network to find the next role.

Soon you'll be onto bigger and better things.

EDIT: the agent may seem nice but they can't be trusted, remember

Comment

Life is too short; walk.

Always other gigs out there.

Good luck.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

You are a winner, because soon you will be free of this manager. The manager is stuck being himself forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  You are a winner, because soon you will be free of this manager. The manager is stuck being himself forever.
                  I thought most of us contractors were terrible cynics. You lot are lovely. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Comment

I thought most of us contractors were terrible cynics. You lot are lovely. Thank you, I really appreciate it.
                    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Your health is paramount. One of the great things about contracting is that you don't have to work in toxic environments.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X