• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short contract to fill gap before a lined up contract??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short contract to fill gap before a lined up contract??

Hello all!

Looking for some advice. I have a contract lined up which begins only after a month. Is it ok to get into another contract and then quit just before the month?

Ethically it doesn't sound right to me but thats the advice I am getting from a couple of contractor friends. I simply dont want to risk my reputation and my relation with an employer. Mind you I am not based in London so the companies who may recruitin my city arent unlimited.

Regards,
    Am

If your new contract starts in 1 month, then enjoy the time off. It’s not all about money, spend time with your family.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Not a very professional approach to quit after a month, personally I would not risk my reputation with Company, Agent and work colleges over a month. You never know whom you might bump into further down the line in work.

Most Companies/Agents have notice periods in their contracts, and they might withhold your last payment on the basis that you broke that, especially if you decide to walk after the last day.

As advised I would spend the month with the family, DIY or doing some personal development.

Comment

Originally posted by acrao View Post
        Hello all!

Looking for some advice. I have a contract lined up which begins only after a month. Is it ok to get into another contract and then quit just before the month?

Ethically it doesn't sound right to me but thats the advice I am getting from a couple of contractor friends. I simply dont want to risk my reputation and my relation with an employer. Mind you I am not based in London so the companies who may recruitin my city arent unlimited.

Regards,
        Am
        Firstly, it's not your employer. Secondly, would you like it if you started the next gig after this and the client binned you off because they just wanted to fill a gap? No you wouldn't. Being this mercenary is pretty poor form IMO and it might be out of your area but contracting can be a surprisingly small world.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I tend to agree that it's poor form and unprofessional to dump on a client like that.
          I'm sure someone else will be along soon enough with a different opinion though, so the OP can pick his choice.

One option would be to put something on LinkedIn saying you're available for a month and see what occurs. And there are a few contracts that are that short term, although they usually take a couple of weeks to get going so it's even shorter term.

Being realistic, the fastest I've ever been onboarded is 3 working days, but it's usually 2-3 weeks. On that basis, with just 1 month to go it's unlikely to happen. Of course until the new gig has started it's always good to stay looking just in case.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Firstly, it's not your employer. Secondly, would you like it if you started the next gig after this and the client binned you off because they just wanted to fill a gap? No you wouldn't. Being this mercenary is pretty poor form IMO and it might be out of your area but contracting can be a surprisingly small world.
            You might not like it, but there are very many clients who would do just that.

Let's face it. As contractors (and even employees to an extent these days), we're merely resources. There to perform services for the client when the client has a need for those services. When the client no longer has a need, we're gone. There's no disloyalty, maliciousness or unprofessionalism here, it's simply business. And what's good for clients is good for you, since you're also a business.

Ignore this rhetoric of it being unprofessional, poor form or mercenary, it really isn't. So long as you abide by the terms of your contract, you're perfectly within your "professional" rights to do however else you please. If this means taking a gig and terminating after only one month (again, assuming your contract doesn't explicitly disallow it), then so be it.

Comment

Depending on your expertise their are short contracts for cover or short term extra resource when project has slipped.

I have been called for short roles, the odd one I have taken and they have then extended, some for holiday cover for a couple of weeks and still been there 18 months later.

Ask you usual contacts.
              Last edited by Anonimouse; 29 April 2019, 06:28.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                You might not like it, but there are very many clients who would do just that.

Let's face it. As contractors (and even employees to an extent these days), we're merely resources. There to perform services for the client when the client has a need for those services. When the client no longer has a need, we're gone. There's no disloyalty, maliciousness or unprofessionalism here, it's simply business. And what's good for clients is good for you, since you're also a business.

Ignore this rhetoric of it being unprofessional, poor form or mercenary, it really isn't. So long as you abide by the terms of your contract, you're perfectly within your "professional" rights to do however else you please. If this means taking a gig and terminating after only one month (again, assuming your contract doesn't explicitly disallow it), then so be it.
                There are many people and companies who will treat you badly in life. That is no reason to do the same.

Comment

I've spent time off between gigs but also had filler work.

If you maintain a good relationship with previous clients often you can find small pieces of filler work with them. I've done that a few times.

Comment

Working...
                  X