• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any sneaky ways to get SC clearance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any sneaky ways to get SC clearance?

Lots of SC jobs going at the moment, but agencies not even entertaining the idea of obtaining clearance.

I'm thinking maybe find an SC job in the arse end of nowhere where there's no contractors.

Also a bit confused, saw a thread on the search where someone suggested applying via your own LTD to get it, but someone saying SC clearance is attached to the role not the person. But if that were the case, how can people with existing clearance carry it with them?

No there isn't. It needs to be applied for by a List X company.

The person are cleared for that role by that client. The clearance stays with the original company. If the contractor moves it can be transferred to the new company. You'd have to get hold of the old client to get the to transfer it to the new one which isn't without it's complications.
    You don't actually hold clearance and can just produce it at the next gig.

I was disappointed when I lost my clearance but hasn't been a problem ever since. I certainly wouldn't be entertaining any convoluted way to get clearance just because there are jobs on the board, particularly if it includes losing billing time. Everyone said it was great to have but hasn't impacted my contracting career not having it to date.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers. Market is a bit thin at the mo' and unexpected termination of current gig 3 weeks in has thrown another spanner in the works.

Figured it'd be useful but it sounds from what you've said that even if I had it it'd be a pain in the arse to get it transferred for a job.

I'll carry on having to pass on those roles then.

Comment

In short.... No

Comment

Put it this way - if there were, it wouldn't be a Security Clearance would it...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Also,

although clearances do not move with you, they remain "active" for a set period. DV is 6 months, SC is 12. They can be transferred within those time frames, after that, you lose it and have to go through the whole shebang again. And we know how long that takes...

GF

Comment

Originally posted by Goosefeather View Post
              Also,

although clearances do not move with you, they remain "active" for a set period. DV is 6 months, SC is 12. They can be transferred within those time frames, after that, you lose it and have to go through the whole shebang again. And we know how long that takes...

GF
              Not quite. The renewal process is much quicker (in theory) so not quite the whole shebang.

Still far too long for agents to consider you for gigs though.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Not quite. The renewal process is much quicker (in theory) so not quite the whole shebang.

Still far too long for agents to consider you for gigs though.....
                And it's not guarantee to transfer anyway - it depends what risks the two ends are assessing for...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Goosefeather View Post
                  Also,

GF
                  Not if you're a contractor.
                  You keep SC for just 1 year after you leave site.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Not if you're a contractor.
                    You keep SC for just 1 year after you leave site.
                    YOU don't as has been mentioned before but we know what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                    X