• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting into Cloud Computing - AWS/Azure/Google Cloud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been moved.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      It's been moved.
      What has? The chutney spoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        What has? The chutney spoon?

I move this thread from the fog of General to the Cloud of Business.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          I move this thread from the fog of General to the Cloud of Business.
          No need to go on about it.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            SW engineer. I hate that term. Anyway, as an engineer can you help me with my radiators, they get cold then hot. I noticed the box thing in the storage room goes on at the same time. I've tried letting the water out of the radiator but the new water still gets hot and cold. What type of water do i need?
            You should ask a hardware engineer; why do people always ask for a SW fix to a HW problem?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Yes it is getting interesting.

Firstly it was everything in the cloud use AWS it's all brilliant - except when you realise the code monkeys coded some tulip which caused a feedback loop and you have been running 200 servers overnight because you had autoscale on - and then there is the issue of security in that you only have the security AWS (or whichever provider) tell you you have - limited ways to fully test.

So then (and it has happened here) there is a brake on going cloud and people are going back to just buying server /rackspace etc from a provider - wonder how long before there is a realisation that using your own data centre does give some benefits over the other stuff.
              I doubt it.

Most companies I come across doing the data centre thing are pretty terrible, and still think endpoint security and the network edge is where they need to put their security. Sure, they disparage cloud as a security issue, but really it's their lack of skills that is the deciding factor.

Hiring a bunch of devs with no cloud or security experience to move your estate to cloud is also a silly idea, but that doesn't make the provider a security risk, just again a lack of skills internally.
              Last edited by fool; 26 February 2019, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                In fact it is the opposite. There are a number of companies that want to move away from cloud due to security issues.
                Interesting insight; I have also come across hybrid-cloud during my bedtime reading which seems to be another trend businesses are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                  I doubt it.

Most companies I come across doing the data centre thing are pretty terrible, and still think endpoint security and the network edge is where they need to put their security. Sure, they disparage cloud as a security issue, but really it's their lack of skills that is the deciding factor.

Hiring a bunch of devs with no cloud or security experience to move your estate to cloud is also a silly idea, but that doesn't make the provider a security risk, just again a lack of skills internally.
                  this ^^^^^^

Companies with real security needs are moving to the cloud. Azure/O365 is accredited for information classified as Official. This is a higher level of accreditation than almost all other computing environments.

The next classification is secret, and Azure is used for that already, with additional controls.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Clouds require more effort in terms of security and making them dynamic to use resources on demand as you need to keep the costs down; regardless of the cons, this is the trend and it is worth learning about. AWS is a good place to start.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Clouds require more effort in terms of security and making them dynamic to use resources on demand as you need to keep the costs down; regardless of the cons, this is the trend and it is worth learning about. AWS is a good place to start.
                      It's not that cloud necessarily takes more effort to secure, it's that there are levels of security that just are just often ignored on-prem or hand waved away with CABs and Security Products.

No amount of paperwork, nor a random SIEM, is going to save you from a developer pushing a backdoor into their code. Code review might.

But sure, if you're not doing infrastructure as code, you don't need to secure those non-existant APIs, but you're also implicitly trusting your entire tech team, and often just slowing everyone down so an ivory tower can approve you misconfiguring the edge firewall.

Comment

Working...
                      X