• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor car insurance claim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The contractor element is irrelevant.

If there are multiple places of work - Class 1 Business.

If it is a single place of work (i.e.: if you have a gig at one office to which you travel by car), it is commuting. It is irrelevant if you have multiple places of work in a given year, if they do not overlap.

But what do I know - I only have my years' of motor insurance underwriting experience and studying insurance underwriting exams to draw upon....

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
      The contractor element is irrelevant.

If there are multiple places of work - Class 1 Business.

If it is a single place of work (i.e.: if you have a gig at one office to which you travel by car), it is commuting. It is irrelevant if you have multiple places of work in a given year, if they do not overlap.

But what do I know - I only have my years' of motor insurance underwriting experience and studying insurance underwriting exams to draw upon....
      What do you know, indeed. You've added in a new caveat.

How about this one: If you have your own limited company and you are in one contract, but you, as your company's representative, have an interview at another client for another contract. Is driving to that interview "Social", "Commuting" or "Business Use". Pick one and explain your reason.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Which we can understand. It just appears that you know **** all about contracting so you can correctly apply that experience.

Where is the definition of a temporary site and it's associated time limits. I am at a clients site for a fixed time albeit 3, 6+ months. A supply teacher is at one for a couple of days. Where is the law/rule that says one is a temp site and one isn't?

They both are to me and to HMRC. Why aren't they to you?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did your experience include the different types of insurance?

Here's a couple of random companies and what they say about social, commuting and business use:
          What can I use my car for?
          Choosing the right class of use

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Did your experience include the different types of insurance?

Here's a couple of random companies and what they say about social, commuting and business use:
            What can I use my car for?
            | Ask a question | 1st CENTRAL Car insurance

Choosing the right class of use
            Funny you pick those two insurers...... I worked with all types of motor insurance, including commercial and taxi, where usage is far more complicated.

Travelling to an interview is social. You are not being paid for attending, and it is not a journey with any regularity (unless of course you are successful, at which point it'll fall under commuting, if you are travelling to the same place of work).

If you complete an insurer proposal form, some insurers will not let you declare that you are unemployed but require commuting/business use, because how can you possibly require these uses if you are unemployed?

I take the point that with contracting the lines are blurred - if you are on the bench, are you still "employed" or unemployed? I'd suggest the former.

The point I was making is no insurer in the land would refuse a contractor claim in this particular scenario. I can see some ambiguity, but unless as a contractor you are travelling to multiple sites as part of the same gig, I do not agree that you would need business use for this. The test would be how long a gig was for, and the regularity of travel.

The spirit of getting individuals to declare commuting vs business use is to identify whether they will be making the same journey at the same times (lower risk), or if they will be travelling on business and therefore more irregularity in their travel patterns.

Comment

If you complete an insurer proposal form, some insurers will not let you declare that you are unemployed but require commuting/business use, because how can you possibly require these uses if you are unemployed?
              That's the difference between being a permanent employee and a contractor.
              Contractors are still "employed" by their limited company even if they are not contracted out to clients.
              Contractors can still claim a salary from their limited company even if they are not contracted out to clients.
              Contractors aren't unemployed when they are between contracts.

And this is where your problem lies. You don't seem to know the difference between a permanent employee of a company and a contractor working for clients.

A substitute teacher who can work for multiple schools is exactly the same as a contractor who can work for multiple clients.

Comment

Travelling to an interview is social. You are not being paid for attending, and it is not a journey with any regularity (unless of course you are successful, at which point it'll fall under commuting, if you are travelling to the same place of work)..
                Not to us it isn't. We are negotiating a B2B contract between your LTD and the client/agent. It's sales work. Part of our job securing clients and selling our services.

Only a tulip contractor would think what you've suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not to us it isn't. We are negotiating a B2B contract between your LTD and the client/agent. It's sales work. Part of our job securing clients and selling our services.

Only a tulip contractor would think what you've suggested.
                  On the other hand, it sounds like good news for the OP. If insurers can't grasp what we are, then that's their problem.

Comment

A teacher transporting children within the context of work would be an absolute no-no - the potential for enormous PI claims would make this extremely high risk, and most typical insurers wouldn't touch this (I would suggest this would fall under Class 3 Business Use, which for a teacher would be extremely hard to obtain cover for).
                    Wrong.

NUT guidance mentions business use and not category to be fair but if this was as dire as you make it out to be the guidance would be much clearer... and it isn't. In your example no teacher would be able to get insurance and that's just utter pap.

NUT Guidance
                    https://www.teachers.org.uk/files/Ve...367_1_3_A4.pdf

The mistake you are making (surprise!!) is teachers don't have to carry them as part of their trade so Level 1 is fine.

A point borne out by the fact we supplied the list in the guidance plus some details scenarios that worried my other half and have had it in writing from both Direct Line and Toyota Insurance these are covered.

Comment

Travelling to an interview is social. You are not being paid for attending, and it is not a journey with any regularity (unless of course you are successful, at which point it'll fall under commuting, if you are travelling to the same place of work).
                      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      And most contractors who run their own limited companies are being paid for attending interviews and claiming the travel on expenses. They are not charging end clients for it, but they are claiming salary and expenses from their own limited company.

Comment

Working...
                      X