• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going Perm in NFP sector - any cultural 'Gotcha's ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Perm in NFP sector - any cultural 'Gotcha's ??

....any cultural 'gotcha's I need to know about?

I'm in a double bind here as I haven't worked this end of the market ever, let alone as a permie (doing this to springboard to more lucrative stuff). A couple of times the last decade I've had management have words with me about "If you'd been a permanent employee you'd have been castigated for"....basically I love to talk, I've a bit of a brain on me and don't mind flaunting it.

I know the usual stuff - avoid religion politics, avoid racial/sexual jokes, blah blah, but I imagine these places are WAY oversensitised, I've heard some frickken horror stories about people getting pulled up to HR for the absolute stupidest, pettiest crap. One did got frickken SUSPENDED simply for throwing a (dry) teabag at a colleague in the office kitchen during a joke. Turned out matey was gay, went straight to HR, and accused him of sexual harrassment (teabagging)...yeah.

I've considered just keeping my mouth shut (no pun intended) during the probie period but that'd look suss too.

Anyway, if anyone's got "The Smart Man's Guide To Banter Without HR", I'd be grateful.

Reminder: This is not General.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Reminder: This is not General.
      Then move the thread to General.

Comment

If you are so smart and you've got such a brain on you why can't you work it out?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Be professional.

Don't be yourself.

Thread closed.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X