• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Actual working hours ... contracted hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actual working hours ... contracted hours

Hi all need some help on this if anyone can

So my work place I have a contract with which reads 42.5 hrs 30mins in paid breaks ... although I am told to start work at 530am and finish at 2pm which is 8.5 hrs ... so I have been doing overtime but not receiving 10hrs per month overtime due to me not working my contracted hrs 42.5 ... now here's where it gets messy I work days but my contract says nights am I right to fight this 10 hrs overtime to be paid or right to fight the fact that my contract says nights so I want night rate which is more than days

It's hard to understand what you're on about as your explanation is incoherent.

You start work at 5:30am, finish at 2:00pm. During that time you're entitled to a 30 minute paid break. Why would you have 10 hours overtime?

Also, 5:30am is early morning. Why are you talking about night rate? Have you read your contract, what does it say?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What do you do? This isn't service desk work or something like that is it? You are a contractor with a LTD company?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes sorry ... I get unpaid 30 mins break ... they are saying that my contract is 42.5 hrs has I'm only doing 40 then they take it off me overtime which is 10 hrs per month .... but they told me to work 530am till 2pm so my hrs are only 40 hence they will not pay me my 10hr overtime they owe me .... but my contract says nights so does that mean I am entitled to night rate

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          What do you do? This isn't service desk work or something like that is it? You are a contractor with a LTD company?
          No I work has a warehouse supervisor

Comment

Originally posted by Adsmith83 View Post
            No I work has a warehouse supervisor
            If your contract has a daily rate, then that is what you are paid per day. If your contract has an hourly rate, then that is what you are paid per hour. If your contract has a daily rate, and specifies that it covers n hours, then you are not obliged to work extra hours, and if you do, they are subject to whatever your contract states.

It's not clear what you're asking, but it sounds like you need to read and understand your contractual obligations.

Are you working via a limited company, or umbrella/agency payroll ?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              It's hard to understand what you're on about as your explanation is incoherent.
              As was the question... Deary me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adsmith83 View Post
                Hi all need some help on this if anyone can

So my work place I have a contract with which reads 42.5 hrs 30mins in paid breaks ... although I am told to start work at 530am and finish at 2pm which is 8.5 hrs ... so I have been doing overtime but not receiving 10hrs per month overtime due to me not working my contracted hrs 42.5 ... now here's where it gets messy I work days but my contract says nights am I right to fight this 10 hrs overtime to be paid or right to fight the fact that my contract says nights so I want night rate which is more than days
                I really doubt, that you will 'win' the argument, to be paid at the night shift rate, given that you start at 05:30.

IF your breaks are unpaid, you are doing 40hrs/week instead of the 42.5/week you agreed to in your contract = NOT good
                IF your breaks are paid, you are doing 42.5hrs/week = GOOD

IF your breaks are unpaid, do the extra 2.5hrs/week and ask for your 10hrs overtime after that.

I think you may be costing yourself 7.5hrs/month overtime, by not doing your agreed contracted hours.

Hope that helps
                Originally posted by Old Greg
                I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

The government class night working as follows:
                  Staff who regularly work at least 3 hours during the 'night period' are night workers. The night period is 11pm to 6am, unless the worker and employer agree a different night period. If they do, it must be 7 hours long and include midnight to 5am.

You're not a night worker, which goes against your contract. You potentially need it amending as well as clarifying.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                  X