• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

first contract....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first contract....

Hi All,

i'm new to contracting and was looking for some advise regarding a contract i have signed up to and so has the agency.
    however the various checks are taking a long time and the start date has already elapsed.
    currently it is at the crb check stage and though i have been told it will be done in next couple of days but i know this could take weeks.
    i just wanted to know other contractors' experience , as i'm concerned it might fall through altogether.....

Checks can always take their time, be it CRB or any other.

As to if it could fall through due to this reason, or this delay, then all contracts can always fall through at any time of the process for enumerate reasons.

If concerned, keep looking. No contract is a done deal until all signatures are in place and indeed, until the first day started.

Comment

If you have nothing to worry about Police & Credit Records wise then there is nothing to worry about. Still keep looking though its never done until its done & your sitting there on the last day having earned & got paid for the contract duration. Until that moment anything can & sometimes does happen. Also Agencies can play games if they think they can get a cheaper candidate than you that can cause a delay...……….

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Checks can always take their time, be it CRB or any other.

As to if it could fall through due to this reason, or this delay, then all contracts can always fall through at any time of the process for enumerate reasons.

If concerned, keep looking. No contract is a done deal until all signatures are in place and indeed, until the first day started.
        To be more precise than this broadly helpful advice,

Be concerned and keep looking.

This probably won't fall through but it easily could, so keep lining up opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by na764 View Post
          Hi All,

i'm new to contracting and was looking for some advise regarding a contract i have signed up to and so has the agency.
          however the various checks are taking a long time and the start date has already elapsed.
          currently it is at the crb check stage and though i have been told it will be done in next couple of days but i know this could take weeks.
          i just wanted to know other contractors' experience , as i'm concerned it might fall through altogether.....
          Dig into to find out who is doing it - Ring them up and ask them if they need anything. Start chasing every day.

Its your business, don't let bad things happen to you, get involved. -- Google passive aggressive.

Comment

I hope the CRB doesn't do grammar checks.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I would be more concerned about spelling and orthography.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Or spelling. It's DBS
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Depends on the employer and how keen they are for your services. Presumeably this isn't their first time at hiring so they'll be well aware of the time taken to get through the checks. If there's subsequent vetting (BPSS maybe?) then the whole process can be fast, can be slow but in any event the employer knows this. If you're concerned then ASK.
                  I had a bunch of contracors requiring BPSS clearance and it took forever and really torpedoed the project timeline but everyone was cool with it as they were familiar with the pitfalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Loofah View Post
                    Depends on the employer and how keen they are for your services. Presumeably this isn't their first time at hiring so they'll be well aware of the time taken to get through the checks. If there's subsequent vetting (BPSS maybe?) then the whole process can be fast, can be slow but in any event the employer knows this. If you're concerned then ASK.
                    I had a bunch of contracors requiring BPSS clearance and it took forever and really torpedoed the project timeline but everyone was cool with it as they were familiar with the pitfalls.
                    First post after 9 years??

Comment

Working...
                    X