• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lorien contracts and IR35 at a well known bank.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ConfusedEasily View Post
    Which (I suspect) is more important. Is there a crib sheet for that? May choose to circulate to hiring managers...
    IR35 isn't about crib sheets. If you have to resort to this then you're inside. You can educate them on how to treat you like a supplier instead.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Which (I suspect) is more important. Is there a crib sheet for that? May choose to circulate to hiring managers...
      It's really down to your company HR and legal teams to understand the implications of IR35 and using contractors in general. I suspect they haven't even thought about it...

You may find this guide worth reading though.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I currently contract through Lorien and the contract they first issued me was laughable. More than 50% of it originally included documents which would only ever be given to a permie during their induction.

I had it all removed, etc prior to starting.

The biggest laugh was half the people I'm working with all signed it years ago... totally obvlivious!

Comment

It's likely to be OP's problem within a year or two, anyway.

Give the guy a break. Most of you guys could die for a client who actually cared about helping you stay outside. It's good business for him to make sure they aren't doing anything stupid that makes life harder on their suppliers / contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mag View Post
            I currently contract through Lorien and the contract they first issued me was laughable. More than 50% of it originally included documents which would only ever be given to a permie during their induction.

I had it all removed, etc prior to starting.

The biggest laugh was half the people I'm working with all signed it years ago... totally obvlivious!
            Are you really sure about that?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Example of an ex contractor and manager looking after contractors.

Do you mean "Why is it your problem?"
              I need contractors, I don't need permies and if a prospective contractor asks me a question I generally answer the question - if I can.

If there's a problem with contracts then I will go and kick the Agency or route them via another supplier.
              Example of a tulip contractor and tulip manager who couldnt give a toss about contractors.

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              I repeat again - why is this your problem ?

The contractors need to get an ipse or qdos review on their contracts in a business to Business type reviews

The biggest IR35 indicator would be the end client (you) doing permie like function (asking permie question like your one on boards like here) - you are doing them Negitive favours here

Step back big man

Comment

I actually think tarbera gave good advice here (for once)

I find it staggering they are asking the client this question..... These contractors seems to not have a clue and next time they ask an agent if it’s ir35 friendly. They will just take their word for it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                  I actually think tarbera gave good advice here (for once)

I find it staggering they are asking the client this question..... These contractors seems to not have a clue and next time they ask an agent if it’s ir35 friendly. They will just take their word for it?
                  Not really, the contractors came in and, over a coffee, ask a question relating to the flexibility of Lorien and adjusting contracts in light of ir35. I need the resource, the company needs the resource and I don't want to pay Accenture rates for idiots in suits.

These contractors will just avoid the contract if ir35 is an issue. There's lots of work out there at the moment and resource is hard to find.

As contractors, you and tarbera may choose to stick your head up your arse and pretend that a few business cards and a website will protect you from HMRC but what is more likely is procurers (me) understanding how to manage my suppliers (you) in such a manner that there is no issue.

I tend to set up teams which are all contractors, give them a task to do and let them deliver it. Usually works. The alternative Accenture (other expensive alternatives are available) usually require hand-holding and deliver **** all.

And - make no mistake the UK finance industry would be ****ed without contractors.
                  Last edited by ConfusedEasily; 20 March 2018, 08:40.

Comment

As contractors, you and tarbera may choose to stick your head up your arse and pretend that a few business cards and a website will protect you from HMRC but what is more likely is procurers (me) understanding how to manage my suppliers (you) in such a manner that there is no issue.
                    Not really. I run a business. I get my contracts reviewed. Like a business does. Then negotiate changes I don’t ask my client questions like this.

You must either work in a very niche area or be tulip at hiring if you’re struggling to find good contractors.

Comment

And - make no mistake the UK finance industry would be ****ed without contractors.
                      Agreed. And many other industries.

Comment

Working...
                      X