• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

help with background check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with background check

Hello there.

So recently I have been offered a job in a major financial institution in the UK. however my offer is subject to a successful completion of my background check, which includes a credit check, fraud and criminality check. I have clean records except for my credit.

I have a couple of unsatisfied defaults on my credit report (phone bills dating 4 years+, utility bill 3 years+).

I don't have any unpaid credit cards or missed mortgage payment. just those defaults. Will they lower my chances of getting the job?
    How am I expected to manage others' finances when I can't manage my owns? The answer is we all make mistakes. and some of us learn from them and better ourselves, making sure the same mistakes are not repeated in the future, but will they understand that?

thanks.

Nobody knows. Just be honest about it.

It all depends on the criteria and you haven't shared that (and presumably don't know it)
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It depends on the end client. You read on here of some people being rejected for a contract for being late with a credit card payment five years ago but for some companies they are more worried about money laundering (namely having more money than you can account for). Most are somewhere between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelmb View Post
        Hello there.

So recently I have been offered a job in a major financial institution in the UK. however my offer is subject to a successful completion of my background check, which includes a credit check, fraud and criminality check. I have clean records except for my credit.

I have a couple of unsatisfied defaults on my credit report (phone bills dating 4 years+, utility bill 3 years+).

I don't have any unpaid credit cards or missed mortgage payment. just those defaults. Will they lower my chances of getting the job?
        How am I expected to manage others' finances when I can't manage my owns? The answer is we all make mistakes. and some of us learn from them and better ourselves, making sure the same mistakes are not repeated in the future, but will they understand that?

thanks.
        You want someone to handle your finances and you've got a few people lined up. All bar one has a clean bill of financial health. One has proven they can't handle their own finances. Would you be confident they've learned and are no longer a risk? It's not about understanding, it's about risk management.

We can't give you an answer as to whether it's a problem or not. Different client and even different roles within clients have different approaches to risk. Some need squeaky clean people, others might overlook a few indiscretions. All you can do is apply and see.

If it helps I don't think they will be a problem for many gigs.

Is this a perm role or a contract. Might just re-think the word 'job' when talking about contracts to avoid confusion.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 19 February 2018, 15:33.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

no no no no no

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Nobody knows. Just be honest about it.

It all depends on the criteria and you haven't shared that (and presumably don't know it)
          no no no no no worse advice you can do

RBS have a Zero Default policy as to BAML and Credit Swiss, to if you have any - you are out

But RBS for example only check 1 in 10 people these days, to takes your chance

Metro bank, a late credit card payment and it seems you are exculded

Comment

Why are they still unsatisfied? Do you still owe the money?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

RBS have a Zero Default policy as to BAML and Credit Swiss, to if you have any - you are out

Ignore this.

Comment

You are a fool if you think they won;t find something so basic. Be honest.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  You are a fool if you think they won;t find something so basic. Be honest.
                  Only if they look

Comment

Only if they look
                    Did you not read the post?
                    There will be a credit check.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X