• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    How come you won't engage with this discussion in a proper, evidence led way? Why do you feel lunch is magically different to other expenses?
    Because he's realised his previous statements were incorrect but isn't prepared to admit it, so will continue to be passive aggressive ad infinitum HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      Because he's realised his previous statements were incorrect but isn't prepared to admit it, so will continue to be passive aggressive ad infinitum HTH BIDI
      Actually no, not at all. It's a question of interpretation of rules that HMRC have drafted and which as a result are less than clear because they fail to cover all eventualities. The intention of the rules, and the way the examples are worded, is that you can claim lunch if you are travelling. What they fail to do is define "travelling" with any accuracy. You can interpret it to mean any journey away from home including any stops of any duration such as for a day's work at your desk. Or you can take it to mean being in transit between one place and another (or, to cover the other option, as a result of an early start/late finish/overnight stay). Both interpretations align to the examples you've quoted (the same ones I would have quoted had I felt the need).

So it's a matter of interpretation. Many people seem to think it gives carte blanche to expense something they would have bought anyway, many others take the different view.

What is clear though is that the insistence of taking ignoring the intent of the various rules - and not just lunch, use of EBTs* comes into the same heading - is one of the reasons why we are finding it impossible to get HMG to take our position as independent businesses seriously.

HTH. But frankly I could care less either way.

* and before we get another twitter storm, EBTs ads there to maximise payouts from funds built on already taxed monies such as pensions, they were never meant to apply to salary.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        The intention of the rules, and the way the examples are worded, is that you can claim lunch if you are travelling. What they fail to do is define "travelling" with any accuracy. You can interpret it to mean any journey away from home including any stops of any duration such as for a day's work at your desk. Or you can take it to mean being in transit between one place and another (or, to cover the other option, as a result of an early start/late finish/overnight stay). Both interpretations align to the examples you've quoted (the same ones I would have quoted had I felt the need).
        I am not sure this can be "misinterpreted"? It is very clear

"‘travel expenses’ for this purpose include the actual costs of travel together with any subsistence expenditure and other associated costs that are incurred in making the journey. This includes:
        -any necessary subsistence costs incurred in the course of the journey
        -the cost of meals necessarily purchased whilst an employee is at a temporary workplace"

if the workplace qualifies as temporary for travel, then it qualifies as temporary for meals

Comment

Wow, 5 pages of back and forth over something relatively uncontroversial. As several people have said and backed up with references you can claim the cost of meals taken while working at a temporary workplace.

It’s not a grey area. If you have to purchase a meal whilst working at a temporary workplace then it’s an additional cost incurred that you wouldn’t have otherwise. The rules are different if you’re self employed but the rules for subsistence for directors and employees is pretty well defined. TLDR; subsistence follows the rules for travel. If the latter is claimable then so is the former.

It’s not going to appear on your tax return either because allowable travel and subsistence claims are covered by an exemption and therefore don’t go on your P11d.

Comment

Advice from SJD, to me:

Subsistence is a bit of a grey area. Technically if you are in any temporary office, you can potentially claim subsistence, however, if going to the same location every day we recommend not to claim this.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              Advice from SJD, to me:
              This is as far as I got.

Comment

Advice from SJD, to me:

Subsistence is a bit of a grey area. Technically if you are in any temporary office, you can potentially claim subsistence, however, if going to the same location every day we recommend not to claim this.
                Poppycock.

Comment

Advice from SJD, to me:

Do you claim travel costs? I would feel inclined to ask why they think it's a grey area.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Do you claim travel costs? I would feel inclined to ask why they think it's a grey area.
                    Yes, up to the 24 month rule.

Comment

Originally posted by funkychicken View Post
                      Hi there, I had a (hopefully) relatively simple question...

Some context
                      I work as a contractor on software projects. It's fairly typical work: usually about 3 months on-site before moving onto a new contract.

I've worked in the industry for a number of years, and like all other contractors I've worked with, I keep my lunch receipts + expense them.

I do this by:
                      • Adding them up at the end of every month
                      • Creating a bulk expense in FreeAgent for the amount
                      • Then reimburse myself.

The problem
                      My (new) accountant is now telling me I need to add lunch expenses individually. Or at least take a photo of each receipt and upload it to FreeAgent.

This amount of work for a £3-4 lunch receipt seems nuts.

Also this is contrary to my previous accountant, who said I could expense them in bulk and reimburse myself (so long as I kept the receipts for 6 years, as normal).

Questions
                      1. Is this correct? Do I really have to submit each day's lunch expense individually?
                      2. Are there any software or apps anyone can recommend to take photos and merge them into a single file? Bonus points for FreeAgent integration!

Many thanks in advance for your help,
                      Tom

I don't keep any receipts for my lunch/ subsistence. I work away, so claim this every day.

I opened a Tide account and lobbed some money into it. I use this account to pay for every meal, drink, sandwich that I purchase as an expense. I only use it for this. The statements clearly shows where, when and how much. This is far better for HMRC than any faded receipt in a drawer and less hassle than even photo copying or scanning receipt and attaching to my Freeagent accounts.

The only receipts I have to keep are those that I have to pay cash for - eg. taxi.

Comment

Working...
                      X