• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses

Hi I’ve landed a consultancy role where I’m based from home but I could be shipped to anywhere in the Uk to work on a client site for a few days. Would this be exclude me from the 2 year rule for expenses? The company would let me charge 25p per mile fuel and other reasonable expenses like hotels and flights etc. Would I be able to claim 45p per mile from the my company for fuel or just what I’m charging the consultancy company?

Ta

The 24 month rule applies if you spend 24 months at the same site. Which you might.

Yes you can claim 45p per mile from yourCO no matter what the client is willing to pay.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

24 months at the same site? Does that include working from my office?

So if I work from home 3 days a week then work 2 days a week at random client locations across the country what happens then?

Ta

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post
        24 months at the same site? Does that include working from my office?

So if I work from home 3 days a week then work 2 days a week at random client locations across the country what happens then?

Ta
        You cannot claim expenses for travel to your home office.....think about it for just a brief second.
        You claim for temporary workplaces.

Have you actually read the 24 month rule yet?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yep I’ve read it. Maybe I didn’t explain properly.

For example

Work for client A 2 days a week from home
          Work for client B 1 day a week in Manchester
          Work for client C 2 days a week Glasgow

Clients will change week by week so in simple terms would I be hit with 24 month rule. Client B/C would be temporary places of work but wouldn’t individually constitute 40% of time there.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post
            Yep I’ve read it. Maybe I didn’t explain properly.

For example

Work for client A 2 days a week from home
            Work for client B 1 day a week in Manchester
            Work for client C 2 days a week Glasgow

Clients will change week by week so in simple terms would I be hit with 24 month rule. Client B/C would be temporary places of work but wouldn’t individually constitute 40% of time there.
            Errrr....
            Both places will be temporary. So you can continue to claim travel expenses.

Are you sure you’ve read it? Yours is a really simple case so I’m struggling to understand how you’ve failed to grasp it.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Might have something to do with alcohol last night

thanks for the info

Comment

Clearly if you’re never going to be spending more than 40% of your time at any one location you can claim travel expenses indefinitely. If you start spending more than 40% at a location then the 24 month clock starts ticking for that site only.

Comment

If only we had a sticky thread all about the 24 month rule.....

EDIT : Ah there is... but it's in the accounting section....
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 22 January 2018, 11:11.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X