• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting dilemma, accept role or wait......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting dilemma, accept role or wait......

Purposely not on General.

I finished last contract in November and took it easy over December. I still have aprox 6 months warchest available to me and could extend that out another month or two if needed.

- Offered a role 90 minutes drive away (2 hours door to door by train). Paying a reasonable rate. Initially I turned it down because of the distance/cost but then I tried to negotiate some flexibility which they say can be arranged after an initial 2 months. If I accept this role then I'd have to stay over 2 times a week realistically.
    - Had 2 other interviews for local roles which didn't work out because after going through the role at interview stage it was clear it wasn't a match.
    - Just now jobs have started flowing through on Jobserve and market picking up. 2 roles look to be materialising in the coming days.

Do I accept the role or wait for one more local given my situation.

To throw another spanner into the works I have a plan B and C currently in the pipeline but they won't be generating cash for another few months from now....

Line up 2 or 3 and delay signing until you have a clear choice of actual roles with start dates confirmed. I had this dilemma last time I was looking and Plan A faffed about so much I ended up taking Plan B and loving it
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Line up 2 or 3 and delay signing until you have a clear choice of actual roles with start dates confirmed. I had this dilemma last time I was looking and Plan A faffed about so much I ended up taking Plan B and loving it
      These guys want me to start immediately though.... Not got contract through yet though cos trying to negotiate the flex working after initial 2 months....

Comment

How long will the job on offer wait?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          How long will the job on offer wait?
          How long is a piece of string.... location is a bit remote so don't think they will have masses of applications on. I can delay with the contract review etc for at least until middle of next week.

Comment

Take the role on offer - you can always bail if anything better comes along, right?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Take the role on offer - you can always bail if anything better comes along, right?
              Definitely not......

Comment

Take the current role being offered.

If you have Plan B & C that will generate income in a few months, then think of the current role as something to tide you over until those plans come to fruition, or until you get offered a better role.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A bird in the hand...
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Have you done long commutes before? That's 90 mins on a good day... and they can be few and far between at times. We have plenty of posts on here about people taking gigs with an hour commute and jacking it in a few weeks in. I also would be ready for the worst case i.e. I wouldn't be taking the gig based on the possibility of some flexibility. Work on the scenario this doesn't work out and you are fully based on site.

If you really think you can do that commute with 90 mins being the minimum and flexibility not appearing for a reasonable period of time then fill your boots.

Do you take this and suffer the commute for 3 months and then be benched again or stay on the bench and wait for a better gig now? No one can really answer that one.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X