• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting dilemma, accept role or wait......"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Just had a local role come through but not signed on the dotted line with distant one...... Have verbally accepted and speaking to the agent what they are saying make sense.... I've been in negotiations with them for a couple of weeks and perhaps I should honour the fact they have tried to accommodate me. Should I go after what is right for me and family.... Really tough one as I hate peeing off clients.
    Who are you trying to kid????

Keep the blog going though. Kinda miss PC's pointless life stories so need something to fill the void.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Just had a local role come through but not signed on the dotted line with distant one...... Have verbally accepted and speaking to the agent what they are saying make sense.... I've been in negotiations with them for a couple of weeks and perhaps I should honour the fact they have tried to accommodate me. Should I go after what is right for me and family.... Really tough one as I hate peeing off clients.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Have managed to agree sufficient flexibility to make the role worthwhile. I have an interview for a local role tomorrow so I may yet turn this down before I sign the paper work....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by andyg View Post
    That is the choice of the contactor and no one elses business. Or are you saying that it will give other contractors a bad name? I so, a little naive. Personally, I only tend to hang around for a maximum of one year in a contract.
    Maybe not give contractors a bad name per se but does polarises the clients view. Is expecting a client to change policies after being let down by endless mercenary contractors naïve? I don't think so. It's business.

Some examples of what I mean are...

Barclays in Knutsford (possible the whole group) moved to no notice period contracts after a long period of using them as a stop gap and moving on. To be fair they treated their contractors like crap with cuts and mass culling so kind of deserved it but it changed their policy.

I've been with a client that won't consider contractors that aren't localish and also been turned down for an interview at another due to the fact I would have to stay away from home. A client last year had two long distance contractors start and immediately asked for flexibility due to the distance which caused a rumpus and lockdown on us all about WFH etc.

If suppliers were all so mercenary we'd be working in a completely different landscape. The odd time here and there then fair enough but going in to every gig knowing you are likely to invoke notice because you can I feel is a bit poor.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Personally, I only tend to hang around for a maximum of one year in a contract.
    Yeah, I know people where it takes that long for the client to suss them out as well

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Or a new contractor bails on his first 3 gigs in a row just being mercenary?
    That is the choice of the contactor and no one elses business. Or are you saying that it will give other contractors a bad name? I so, a little naive. Personally, I only tend to hang around for a maximum of one year in a contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just imagine the OP starts the contract with a two or four week notice in the contract and had a sudden emergency at home and has to leave on compassionate grounds. Or, the end client suddenly discovers that the project/programme has to be be binned/delayed. In the first scenario he/she would have to leave the contract and suffer any legal consequences. In the second, they would offload the contractor ASAP. A one week notice period, as I currently have in my contract with a regulatory services company, suits all parties (except maybe the agency).
    Or a new contractor bails on his first 3 gigs in a row just being mercenary?

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Start who off again?

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    You'll start them off again - stop poking the tiger with a stick!
    Just imagine the OP starts the contract with a two or four week notice in the contract and had a sudden emergency at home and has to leave on compassionate grounds. Or, the end client suddenly discovers that the project/programme has to be be binned/delayed. In the first scenario he/she would have to leave the contract and suffer any legal consequences. In the second, they would offload the contractor ASAP. A one week notice period, as I currently have in my contract with a regulatory services company, suits all parties (except maybe the agency).

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Add the above to the contract and if the new gig nearer to your home comes in then give notice.
    You'll start them off again - stop poking the tiger with a stick!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    As NLUK said, done long commutes before. Everyones different. For me, 90 mins each way is too far. BUT I did 2 hour each way via train for a few years (this depends on how packed the train is).

I had very little WFH but I did stay over now and again - probably only once a month mind. More to preserve my sanity for one night that week.

Makes a difference how decent it is working at client too. Mine was good and people were great so I stayed a long time. But they just werent keen on WFH.

One thing though. 90-120 mins each way is tough if you have a family. You're out of the picture totally for childcare. Even GP/dentist appointments are a nightmare.

Would I do it again? Yes by train but not by car. Would I prefer a local role - definitely because long days like this give me the impression that they were slowly killing me. Like I said not so bad if you're young/no kids etc.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Add a one week notice clause

Add the above to the contract and if the new gig nearer to your home comes in then give notice.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Is it not super, super money? Using bleeding edge technology? Is it a a top, top, top job? I'd take that one.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

qh

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    NWP2C has been around a long time. Some of us have a good idea

Don't get us started on that one again

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    Not saying I agree with it - however it's a clause in the contract and it is there to exploit should one wish to. Of course it's better to finish that cut and run early, which gives all of us a bad name.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Of course the rate has to be decent for this to work out, and we don't know what your home life situation is.
    NWP2C has been around a long time. Some of us have a good idea

You can always use your notice period if it doesn't pan out, that's the power you have as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X