• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly railway ticket- can this be expensed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skysies View Post
    Same here, generally happy with the service they provided so far. But it's really annoying if I have to educate them for things I'm paying for...
    Yeah; I must admit people haven't ever been impressed if they've had to tell me something fundamental about my job!

I guess the best thing to do is point them in the direction of HMRC legislation and ask them to re-evaluate?

Comment

It’s there in black and white on the HMRC website. I don’t think the explanation or example could be much clearer. There’s no such thing as a Mon-Fri season ticket as far as I’m aware. If such a thing was available then you’d surely buy it as it would be cheaper! Accountants are talking out of their backsides on this one. Ignore them.

Saying get rid of them might seem drastic, but it does make you start wondering if all of the other advice you’ve been given is legit.

Comment

Maybe if the thread can get moved to accounting, one of our friendly accountants will chip in to confirm what the amateurs are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Maybe if the thread can get moved to accounting, one of our friendly accountants will chip in to confirm what the amateurs are saying.
          There are some amateurs on here I would trust. Equally there are some accountants who aren’t as good as they think they are.

Those who know me will know that the sentence above is changed to reflect the utter tulip posted in the post above ms’s
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Nixon Williams said it was OK to expense a yearly one... saves the business money they would've spent anyway.

One of those weird kickbacks you get - claim your years travel, but no claiming suits or ties - you might wear them to the shops!
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              There are some amateurs on here I would trust. Equally there are some accountants who aren’t as good as they think they are.

Those who know me will know that the sentence above is changed to reflect the utter tulip posted in the post above ms’s
              Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Nixon Williams said it was OK to expense a yearly one... saves the business money they would've spent anyway.

One of those weird kickbacks you get - claim your years travel, but no claiming suits or ties - you might wear them to the shops!
                It isn't a weird kickback.

A suit and tie can be worn to a funeral or wedding hence it isn't just a work outfit.

A barrister actually took a claim to court and lost.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Feel free to elaborate.

Comment

Load of bollox. Why would you have to spend more on separate tickets (BTW - there is no mon-fri only 7 day tickets) just in case you used at weekend FFS? Listen to Nixon Williams I would.

Thats the problem with "some" accountants it seems. Take the 1 in 10000 might happen route rather than the sensible route rather than risk it going wrong and dont care how much it costs their client. Why not research it properly and then present the risks to the client?

BTW - week tickets are crap. I found best plan is to buy month+days one. Buy your month one to run from a monday morning to one month plus until the friday after (i.e. month+3 days or whatever). Next time around, go from monday again. Saves a few quid. And dont worry about being canned and losing the worth of the ticket - its only £10 admin to cancel and refund whats left on it. (although if say you've used one week and one day, they'll deduct the cost of one 7 day ticket and one day ticket from what you paid originally).

Or another way around it - catch the train, pay for season ticket out of your own money and claim 45p a mile. Oops did I just say that? :-)
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Please explain as I'm confused also.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X