• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly railway ticket- can this be expensed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Listen to Nixon Williams I would.
    Thanks, Yoda.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Thanks, Yoda.
      Yellow snow don't eat....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
        Yeah; I must admit people haven't ever been impressed if they've had to tell me something fundamental about my job!

I guess the best thing to do is point them in the direction of HMRC legislation, ask them to re-evaluate and provide you with a sizeable credit note?
        FTFY.

Comment

Or another way around it - catch the train, pay for season ticket out of your own money and claim 45p a mile. Oops did I just say that? :-)
          I know someone who was asked to prove they did the miles they claimed. Spent 3 years arguing that one.
          Keep your fuel receipts people if you claim miles.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I know someone who was asked to prove they did the miles they claimed. Spent 3 years arguing that one.

I guess but it'd be difficult to prove. After all, who keeps all their petrol receipts?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I guess but it'd be difficult to prove. After all, who keeps all their petrol receipts?
              I do. After I heard that story.
              And since I've come off flat rate VAT I claim VAT on fuel so MUST have the receipts.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                How does a fuel receipt help prove a) how many miles you've done and b) that they were for business?

Edit: all I'm saying is that receipts just aren't necessary unless you're also reclaiming the VAT. A mileage log is sufficient.
                Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 30 November 2017, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  How does a fuel receipt help prove a) how many miles you've done and b) that they were for business?
                  or c) that it was your fuel receipt in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    or c) that it was your fuel receipt in the first place
                    This. An ex of mine had a father who owned an engineering company - he was forever putting his families fuel through his business!

Comment

Load of bollox. Why would you have to spend more on separate tickets (BTW - there is no mon-fri only 7 day tickets) just in case you used at weekend FFS? Listen to Nixon Williams I would.

Or another way around it - catch the train, pay for season ticket out of your own money and claim 45p a mile. Oops did I just say that? :-)
                      Ok, to wrap this up, it seems legit to claim a monthly train ticket, if that's less than the daily tickets for the days I go to work...Still a bit unsure about claiming an yearly ticket though, as I would expense a whooping £2500 at one time...This one would be much cheaper than the monthly one, let alone the daily...

Comment

Working...
                      X