• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Hello all,

I am coming across some opportunities where the commute is on average 2hrs each way (4hrs total a day).

In the City I have known some contractors to leave around 6.30am for a 9am start but they tend to be of the 50+ age range and veterans of the game who have done it for a long time.

What are your thoughts on this type of thing? 2hrs + 8hr work day + 2hr commute back. With traffic and delays this can be more or less.

Is it worth it? Let's say the money was not extra-ordinary, and maybe it was only for 6 months? People are quite adaptable and as above I have seen some people do it but not sure what impact this has on their health and personal life.

Anyone have personal experience where they have done this and can share?

I've done it - used to drive from Sussex to Heathrow every day and also got the train/tube from Sussex to Canary Wharf every day.

Preferred the train as it was an extra 90 mins sleep in the morning (many times other commuters woke me up at London Bridge, it pays to sit in the same seat every day!).

It takes its toll, to be honest. I snapped and moved to London as I decided I don't want to commute more than 45 mins each way. However, there were chaps on the train who have done it for 10-15 years. I have no idea how they coped.

Comment

Everyone is different. You might take it better or worse than others.

Give it a try. If it does not work, arrange to stay away during the week.

Comment

I have met and worked with people who did that via the train and it may work provided your commute has little effort involved. It falls apart as soon as they started driving and had to concentrate when dealing with traffic.

Personally why would you do it 5 days a week - you won't gain anything from those extra hours and its probably as cheap to stay in a hotel all week or at least one or 2 nights a week...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

it just grinds you down over a few months.

You basically have no life outside work and that will wear anyone down.

Find some cheap digs and stay over 2 or 3 nights. Try and get Friday's at home, then after a bit see if you can get Mondays as well. That way you become a TWaT.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you have a family it's unsustainable in most cases, nursery/school drop offs/pickups are impossible which will put strain on your partner.

If you don't have a family, you might as well get a room in a shared house, it will be most likely cheaper.

Comment

I did it for 2 or 3 weeks at the beginning of my new contract. Then I made it very clear that I wanted to work from home 3 days/week as per the discussion I'd had in the interview. There is no way I'd work what amounts to an extra 1/2 week just commuting. That's just madness.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I've done it - used to drive from Sussex to Heathrow every day and also got the train/tube from Sussex to Canary Wharf every day.

Preferred the train as it was an extra 90 mins sleep in the morning (many times other commuters woke me up at London Bridge, it pays to sit in the same seat every day!).

It takes its toll, to be honest. I snapped and moved to London as I decided I don't want to commute more than 45 mins each way. However, there were chaps on the train who have done it for 10-15 years. I have no idea how they coped.

Time taken to commute is time taken from your life in which other activities can be enjoyed. It's a lot of sitting - which you already, more than likely, do all day in the office.

Life is for living, having hobbies, seeing family and friends - the world is your oyster, unless you are allergic to shellfish. Unless you are at the end of your finances, absolutely please please please do not do this. It doesn't show resolve, it instead shows a lack of integrity. If someone I was managing did this, I would question their intelligence - but only after prying out of them approximately why they are doing it. It's a desperate commute for desperate people and fair play to someone if they are desperate, I certainly mean no bad word of them.

To the fit, healthy, with good finances, there is no need to do this. Time is money. Add the commuting time to the hourly rate calculations and you will soon see just how reduced, most likely, your hourly rate is due to such a lengthy commute. £500/day nearby is superior to £600/day 2 hour commute away. Choose life.

Comment

Doing it right now, but with at least one night per week in a hotel and I try to WFH a day per week. Go on normal VAT rate if you stay a lot in hotels which will enable you to claim back VAT on all your hotel costs and meals (as well as some VAT on mileage)
                  Most of my contracts for the last 8 years have been 90 -120 miles away

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                    Time taken to commute is time taken from your life in which other activities can be enjoyed. It's a lot of sitting - which you already, more than likely, do all day in the office.

Life is for living, having hobbies, seeing family and friends - the world is your oyster, unless you are allergic to shellfish. Unless you are at the end of your finances, absolutely please please please do not do this. It doesn't show resolve, it instead shows a lack of integrity. If someone I was managing did this, I would question their intelligence - but only after prying out of them approximately why they are doing it. It's a desperate commute for desperate people and fair play to someone if they are desperate, I certainly mean no bad word of them.

To the fit, healthy, with good finances, there is no need to do this. Time is money. Add the commuting time to the hourly rate calculations and you will soon see just how reduced, most likely, your hourly rate is due to such a lengthy commute. £500/day nearby is superior to £600/day 2 hour commute away. Choose life.
                    Completely agree. The move closer to where most of my work comes from has been great, I always liked London so it's good to be here (despite the exorbitant cost). Ironically, I now work 90% from home and have no commute.

Comment

Working...
                    X