• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    and bring chaos to the roads with their anarchic behaviour.
    Depends on whether they are Brillopad or not.

and cardio isn't the magic wand it's mad out to be <although i do lots, incidentally, for fun>
    Active transportation is better than sitting on your bum.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Depends on whether they are Brillopad or not.

Active transportation is better than sitting on your bum.
      i sit on my bum when i'm doing the cardio
      and i do own a bike

Comment

i sit on my bum when i'm doing the cardio
        True. I meant being passive and sitting on your bum.

Not being active and sitting on your bum.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          True. I meant being passive and sitting on your bum.

Not being active and sitting on your bum.
          cheers, the bike's a bit of a cheat though, all being told

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I AM the Northern Powerhouse!
            That would realistically cover what George has said he'd spend on the north unfortunately.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
              People are quite adaptable and as above I have seen some people do it but not sure what impact this has on their health and personal life.
              I have done a few stints commuting in this way. Memorable ones included doing the Birmingham<>London commute back when the trains took 2hrs+. I used to fall asleep on the way home.

My reason back then was I needed a job after the dot-com bust.

Impact on personal life is an easy one to answer as the guys I know who still do long commutes don't like being at home much and when they do finally get home the wife has the dinner waiting and has taken care of the kids.

They also have ready made excuses to avoid any social gatherings after work and for being late/leaving early 'because there are x problems with x mode of transport'.

So, in their terms, their personal life is just great. They also take great amusement in putting in a whacking great expenses claim for said overpriced train ticket or brand new car/SUV on the treacle.

In terms of health they look about 10 years older than I do and around 2 stone heavier than they should be as their ass is sat on a train/car seat for 4 hours a day.

All in all I bump into these kinda cats fairly regularly and the template usually fits.

If the above floats your boat then step right in if not, run a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                I have done a few stints commuting in this way. Memorable ones included doing the Birmingham<>London commute back when the trains took 2hrs+. I used to fall asleep on the way home.

My reason back then was I needed a job after the dot-com bust.

Impact on personal life is an easy one to answer as the guys I know who still do long commutes don't like being at home much and when they do finally get home the wife has the dinner waiting and has taken care of the kids.

They also have ready made excuses to avoid any social gatherings after work and for being late/leaving early 'because there are x problems with x mode of transport'.

So, in their terms, their personal life is just great. They also take great amusement in putting in a whacking great expenses claim for said overpriced train ticket or brand new car/SUV on the treacle.

In terms of health they look about 10 years older than I do and around 2 stone heavier than they should be as their ass is sat on a train/car seat for 4 hours a day.

All in all I bump into these kinda cats fairly regularly and the template usually fits.

If the above floats your boat then step right in if not, run a mile.
                Until their wife shacks up with someone who is around more and looks their actual age rather than 10 years older.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
                  Hello all,

I am coming across some opportunities where the commute is on average 2hrs each way (4hrs total a day).
                  Sounds like an ordinary commute through London, such as when I was living in SE and the client was in West. The commute, including changes, walking etc was close to 2hrs.

Comment

Been doing it for years, use the first hour on the train on the ipad to study and the remaining 45 mins to catch up on game or thrones or whatever else i am watching. same on the return journey. Take exams then up my rate and move onto better roles. Dont see it all as a negative. Mind you I am in a relationship and no dependants, might be different if you have kids or stuff

Comment

Done it on more than one gig in the past since the change in T&S I don't and wont do it again. I am quite specific about it now. This short contract I am on finishes this month its involved travelling to another site 70 miles away for that (now) they get me commuting in their time not mine, so its 2hrs to site (from my normal place of work) 4hrs on site, 2 hrs back to normal place of work...easy and can make for a pleasant working day !

Comment

Working...
                      X