• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confirming you've been put forward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirming you've been put forward

So given that we're all still alive after the budget....

Having been in this game for a good few years, one of the subtleties I've never quite figured out is whether it's possible to confirm you've been put forward for a role and if so how.

So a few days ago I spoke to an agent regarding a role, they told me they would put my CV in front of client later that same day. All sounds good so far.
    Then I see many other listings for what appear to be same role with a variety of agents. One of them contacts me. I think I've been forward I tell them.

Given all the games agents play it's quite plausible that the first agent is taking candidates (IE me) off the market to prevent them from being used by rival agents simply by telling those candidates they're submitting them without actually doing so.
    This might well be because the agent has another candidate who is nearly as qualified on paper as me but willing to work for £100 less a day.

Obviously this doesn't apply to agent-exclusive roles.

I've tried to get written confirmation of being put forward once before and it went down like a lead balloon. Got all the "oh I'm hurt don't you trust me" routine.

Agents often request right to represent emails to protect their interests. Should we be seeking emails to protect ours?

So interested to know if anyone has ever sought confirmation and if so whether they had any success?

The agent can just lie. Just tell agent two to confirm your CV has been put forward before submitting you.

Also be aware even if agent one is on the PSL, if the agent two is favoured more by the client then they will look at CVs from that preferred agent first.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
      I've tried to get written confirmation of being put forward once before and it went down like a lead balloon. Got all the "oh I'm hurt don't you trust me" routine.
      That response indicates you shouldn't trust them

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
        So given that we're all still alive after the budget....

Having been in this game for a good few years, one of the subtleties I've never quite figured out is whether it's possible to confirm you've been put forward for a role and if so how.

So a few days ago I spoke to an agent regarding a role, they told me they would put my CV in front of client later that same day. All sounds good so far.
        Then I see many other listings for what appear to be same role with a variety of agents. One of them contacts me. I think I've been forward I tell them.

Given all the games agents play it's quite plausible that the first agent is taking candidates (IE me) off the market to prevent them from being used by rival agents simply by telling those candidates they're submitting them without actually doing so.
        This might well be because the agent has another candidate who is nearly as qualified on paper as me but willing to work for £100 less a day.

Obviously this doesn't apply to agent-exclusive roles.

Agents often request right to represent emails to protect their interests. Should we be seeking emails to protect ours?

So interested to know if anyone has ever sought confirmation and if so whether they had any success?
        In your email put something like "You can represent me as long as my CV is sent to the client within 24 hours". Then if someone else contacts you they can check if you have been.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          The agent can just lie. Just tell agent two to confirm your CV has been put forward before submitting you.

Also be aware even if agent one is on the PSL, if the agent two is favoured more by the client then they will look at CVs from that preferred agent first.
          Exactly that.

And when confirming an agent can represent you, say that they can represent you provided your CV is submitted.

Comment

I was in that situation too.
            Agent says he will submit my profile to the customer today, which big well-known company. Later the day I receiving confirmation that it was done, so far so good.
            Next day I am getting call from another agent for the same role and I am saying that application is there, too late, it is done. "Hold on", she says - "Let me try, the customer's system asking for your surename and date of birth on the application and not allowing candidates to be submitted twice". "Ha-ha, well, try, but it is done" I respond. - "Actually, it went through, it seems you never been submitted".

I have got the role and since then I only wait until end of the day and always apply trough another agent next day if I am getting the call. Of course if I haven't promised agent one not to do that by email or during our conversation.

Comment

If the gig comes up again via a 2nd agent I usually tell them if you're able to check with client and find I havent been submitted then go for it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                If the gig comes up again via a 2nd agent I usually tell them if you're able to check with client and find I havent been submitted then go for it.
                Is that a good idea? Leaving the agent to do extra work for a start. And to trust him not to ignore what you say and bung it in anyway which could cause problems for you.

That's very trusting for you that hates all agents and doesn't trust them as far as you can spit.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Is that a good idea? Leaving the agent to do extra work for a start. And to trust him not to ignore what you say and bung it in anyway which could cause problems for you.
                  Some agents will do it others won't.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                    In your email put something like "You can represent me as long as my CV is sent to the client within 24 hours". Then if someone else contacts you they can check if you have been.
                    ^^^^^ great idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X