• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should all timesheets be signed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should all timesheets be signed?

I've started at a new client, direct so no agency. Contacted me through LinkedIn so I didn't know them before.
    They are a small consultancy around 18 months old, with around 8 contractors alongside me on site at a larger client.

The written contract says timesheets must be signed.
    Yet the consultancy has emailed us the timesheet to fill in, as an Excel attachment, and there is nowhere on it to sign - only boxes for days worked. They said in the email to email the completed timesheet to them - no mention of getting it signed by the client.

The concern I have is that it leaves the door wide open for the client to refuse to pay the invoice on the basis that no -signed- timesheet has been received, and that therefore there is no proof that the days were in fact worked.

As a remedy I have taken the Excel sheet and added fields for a client signature, and will ask the clients to sign prior to submission.

Do you think this is a wise precaution, or am I being over-cautious?

Anyone seen similar before?

Ta

Have you asked any of the other contractors about this? Or the consultancy?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      I've started at a new client, direct so no agency. Contacted me through LinkedIn so I didn't know them before.
      They are a small consultancy around 18 months old, with around 8 contractors alongside me on site at a larger client.

Yet the consultancy has emailed us the timesheet to fill in, as an Excel attachment, and there is nowhere on it to sign - only boxes for days worked. They said in the email to email the completed timesheet to them - no mention of getting it signed by the client.

The concern I have is that it leaves the door wide open for the client to refuse to pay the invoice on the basis that no -signed- timesheet has been received, and that therefore there is no proof that the days were in fact worked.

As a remedy I have taken the Excel sheet and added fields for a client signature, and will ask the clients to sign prior to submission.

Ta
      Er, you say you are direct so who wrote up the contract? And who insisted on the 'signed timesheet' clause and where does this consultancy emailing you come into it? Are they the client?

Sorry but this sounds a real abortion of a contract you have signed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Have you asked any of the other contractors about this? Or the consultancy?
        Not yet.

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Er, you say you are direct so who wrote up the contract? And who insisted on the 'signed timesheet' clause and where does this consultancy emailing you come into it? Are they the client?

Sorry but this sounds a real abortion of a contract you have signed.
        The consultancy drew up the contract, and put the "signed timesheets" clause into it themselves without asking me first.
        The consultancy emailed me and the other contractors around a week in to "remind" us to email completed timesheets to the consultancy by the end of the month.
        The consultancy is not the client, but the consultancy has an employed manager onsite (the guy who interviewed me and hired me), and it is to him that timesheets have to be emailed.

Comment

Point it out to the consultancy there is a discrepancy between the contract and the actual working practices.
          Ask them to confirm what the situation is.
          If they say as it is is fine write back advising them due to the process your payment cannot be declined by the client challenging hours and that this agreement an amendment to contract.

Failing that I think your option is perfectly fine. If you get on well with your client manager you could either forward it to him to then forward to the agency or cc him/her in when they you mail it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had timesheets where the client manager just had to state the timesheet was authorised then put their full name in the email. This is both direct and via agency.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just a point of order the consultancy is your client, the end client is a customer of the consultancy

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Ta
                Follow the agreed process, and additionally print the timesheet and get it signed for your own records.

Comment

Option 1: Go back and ask the consultancy how they want this done, pointing out there is nowhere on the timesheet for it to be signed.
                  Option 2: Save the timesheet as a pdf (so it can't be altered easily), send it to the end client and get them to send it to the consultancy in an email containing the word "Approved"
                  Option 3: Print off the excel spreadsheet, get the end client to put a wet signature on it, scan the signed document and email a copy to the consultancy and the end client.

...but I'd start off with option 1, because if you don't deliver the document in a way that the consultancy wants it delivered, then they may delay/refuse to pay you. Also, if there's a few consultants who are in the same boat, it would probably be beneficial for all of you to know the correct answer.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Follow the agreed process, and additionally print the timesheet and get it signed for your own records.
                    This.

Small consultancies need a paper trail.
                    Just do what they ask.

And as NLyUK states keep a personal record to satisfy your concerns.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X