• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Additional Backgrounds Docs Requested mid-way through Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional Backgrounds Docs Requested mid-way through Contract

Few months into a contract, and agency has told me the client is asking for some extra documentation as listed below. I'd be happy about most of this had it been asked up-front, but I'm confused as to why any of it should be needed now. Agent doesn't know why it's being asked for, and I'm wondering why client didn't just ask me directly. I know that references in particular are often just requested as leads for the agency, so I'm wary about the whole lot:
    • Credit check
    • Criminal records check
    • Address verification going back 5 years
    • Personal references

I like to minimise requests for personal references unless vital so I don't hassle my good contacts unnecessarily. CRB and credit checks are simple but are still a cost in time and money. Finally, on the address verification I can't see why this could possibly be relevant to the employer. Note the current role has nothing to do with either financial or personal data which could justify the credit and CRB checks (albeit before starting!)
    Last edited by Zylon; 31 October 2017, 23:30.

I would go and ask the client's HR.

When I've been asked for that stuff after the contract has started it is always from the client. Otherwise there is a risk of data going missing.

Oh and you don't have to be in finance to get checked. Any role where there is the slightest potential of you dealing with personal data they can check you.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Forgot to say personal references can just be from one/two of your friends with traditionally respected jobs plus your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
        Few months into a contract, and agency has told me the client is asking for some extra documentation as listed below. I'd be happy about most of this had it been asked up-front, but I'm confused as to why any of it should be needed now. Agent doesn't know why it's being asked for, and I'm wondering why client didn't just ask me directly. I know that references in particular are often just requested as leads for the agency, so I'm wary about the whole lot:
        • Credit check
        • Criminal records check
        • Address verification going back 5 years
        • Personal references
        Did you opt in for the contract? If so the Agent should have done most of this. Even if they haven't they should have done some vetting. Sounds like the agent hasn't done what they were supposed to and are cleaning their act up a little late.

Client doesn't ask you as you have no contractual relationship with them. You are contracted to the agent.

Could also be changes in legislation. The passport checks will have become legal while people were in contract so will have had to be done retrospectively back in the day.

I like to minimise requests for personal references unless vital so I don't hassle my good contacts unnecessarily. CRB and credit checks are simple but are still a cost in time and money. Finally, on the address verification I can't see why this could possibly be relevant to the employer. Note the current role has nothing to do with either financial or personal data which could justify the credit and CRB checks (albeit before starting!)
        Employer? Your client you mean but still, as I said above.

For references just give the names of your old agents, not clients. No one get's hassled then.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Funny enough my client has asked for more docs yesterday, I have no qualms giving them what they are asking for (I may be a PITA and ask for their Sensitive Data Storage, Retention and Disposal Policy, but that is more for tulips and giggles).

It's one of those areas where we would like to be treated as different than employees, but as we are potentially accessing their customer data I see no reason why they would not ask for it, a simple conversation with someone in the HR team (who invariably will be asking for the information) stating Employee checks are the responsibility of MyCo, but happy to satisfy any supplier checks required.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Did you opt in for the contract? If so the Agent should have done most of this. Even if they haven't they should have done some vetting. Sounds like the agent hasn't done what they were supposed to and are cleaning their act up a little late.

Client doesn't ask you as you have no contractual relationship with them. You are contracted to the agent.
            You maybe contracted to the agent but as the checks are to satisfy the client they can and often do, do them themselves.

Oh and I've had clients doing passport checks for years.

Comment

Quite normal, sometimes requirements become more stringent so contractors who have already been cleared need to to go through additional checks.

Just provide the info. For the references provide the addresses of the agencies you worked through, they don't want a comment on your professional ability.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Forgot to say personal references can just be from one/two of your friends with traditionally respected jobs plus your accountant.
                I have no friends so thats an issue for me.

Luckily I just use the agents as references. Which is handy for me in finance as no finance company will give a reference unless its a permanent job and it just confirms job title and dates of employment.

Comment

Just let them have what they want for a modest administration fee.

Comment

The one thing I would not do is go and speak to the client HR department. That really is piss poor advice. You are not engaged directly by the client, you are engaged by the agency and as such, should deal directly with them.

Your options are you refuse to comply and risk the client and \ or the agent getting hacked off and walking you off site \ not renewing. I wont go into the detail as it should be pretty clear. Or, you can provide the info just as you would have before you started.

It sounds like either client or agency got behind the curve but, in the scheme of things, you'd have provided this information before you started so why make an issue of it now?

Comment

Working...
                    X