• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Additional Backgrounds Docs Requested mid-way through Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies. My concern was mainly whether this was more for the agencies benefit, and so whether I should really invest time and money in it. But sounds like it's a common client request and I should just provide it all, even if the agency has just left it late.

Comment

How much time and money do you have to invest to supply some basic details?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How much time and money do you have to invest to supply some basic details?
        Digging up address verification for 5 years will take a while since I've moved a couple times in that period. CRB and credit checks will cost me money - very little in comparison to day rate, but not something I wanted to bear if it had been just for the agencies benefit.

Comment

Don't you just supply the details and the agent does it? I didn't think CRB check existed anymore. Isn't it DBS or something now?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
            Digging up address verification for 5 years will take a while since I've moved a couple times in that period. CRB and credit checks will cost me money - very little in comparison to day rate, but not something I wanted to bear if it had been just for the agencies benefit.
            Credit check is free for you - the company doing the checking has to pay.

CRB doesn't exist. It is either a DBS - which is free for you the employer/organisation doing it legally can't charge you - or a Disclosure Scotland which is around £30.

And you should always know your old addreses. As you should be using them to keep an eye on your own credit rating. You can actually access them all free online. The site MoneySavingExpert tells you how.

Oh and you should confirm if they want personal references or professional references. The agencies cannot give you personal references as they don't know you they can only confirm dates. If they actually need work personal references then you need to get them of other contractors you have worked alongside preferrably those with "manager" in their titles.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 3 November 2017, 00:53.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Credit check is free for you - the company doing the checking has to pay.

CRB doesn't exist. It is either a DBS - which is free for you the employer/organisation doing it legally can't charge you - or a Disclosure Scotland which is around £30.

And you should always know your old addreses. As you should be using them to keep an eye on your own credit rating. You can actually access them all free online. The site MoneySavingExpert tells you how.

Oh and you should confirm if they want personal references or professional references. The agencies cannot give you personal references as they don't know you they can only confirm dates. If they actually need work personal references then you need to get them of other contractors you have worked alongside preferrably those with "manager" in their titles.
              Credit check they're asking me to provide myself - that's one of the reasons I found it odd. I agree with you, and told the agency they could carry it out themselves. They've gone back to clarify. Feels like poor communication between them and end client.

Previous addresses I certainly know, but assumed by verification they wanted bank statements and bills etc. I have these just need to dig them out. Perhaps your interpretation is correct and they just wanted the actual addresses rather than proof I lived there.

Didn't realise basic disclosure was free - good to know. I had also asked agency which type they wanted, and they didn't know - went back to clarify this too. With communication this efficient I can start to understand why agencies need to take such exorbitant cuts to stay in business
              Last edited by Zylon; 4 November 2017, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
                Credit check they're asking me to provide myself - that's one of the reasons I found it odd. I agree with you, and told the agency they could carry it out themselves. They've gone back to clarify. Feels like poor communication between them and end client.

Previous addresses I certainly know, but assumed by verification they wanted bank statements and bills etc. I have these just need to dig them out. Perhaps your interpretation is correct and they just wanted the actual addresses rather than proof I lived there.

Didn't realise basic disclosure was free - good to know. I had also asked agency which type they wanted, and they didn't know - went back to clarify this too. With communication this efficient I can start to understand why agencies need to take such exorbitant cuts to stay in business
                Now you know why I said talk to the client.

You may not have the contract with them but it saves a game of whispers/telephone.

NB there is a trick in doing this not to wind the client up.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 6 November 2017, 00:20.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X