• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submitted Rate Reduced Before 1st Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submitted Rate Reduced Before 1st Interview

Hi Guys,
    Haven't been contracting for long - a bit over 3 years,
    but this is the first time I come across this.
    Responded to an Ad with a certain rate,
    agent called me and confirmed they are submitting me for the role with rate x.
    Few days later I get another phone call fro the agent,
    telling me I was to get short listed for the role,
    but due to multiple number of applications,
    the client has decided to decrease the rate by %15.
    As this is the first time I've come across such a case,
    would appreciate your experienced opinion on it.

Insist on the rate you asked for or walk away. The money from the end client is not determined by how many applicants there are. If it is, you don't want to work there anyway.

Other views are available...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
      Hi Guys,

Standard agency tactic to increase his margin. My usual response to that is, if the client wants a cheap resource, I am out, good luck finding someone competent.

Usually, what will happen is that the agent will suddenly negotiate your rate with client successfully and you are back in business.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
        Hi Guys,
        Supply & demand in action & or they detect you need the role as you have only been a contractor 3 years.
        As so many people are looking & the market is tight accept the 15% less get the role then 1st extension ask for the 15% back! Can you afford to be benched or not is the other factor only you will know the answer look at this mega thread to get a flavour for how bad the market is for some of us! http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...arket-134.html

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          Supply & demand in action & or they detect you need the role as you have only been a contractor 3 years.
          As so many people are looking & the market is tight accept the 15% less get the role then 1st extension ask for the 15% back! Can you afford to be benched or not is the other factor only you will know the answer look at this mega thread to get a flavour for how bad the market is for some of us! http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...arket-134.html
          Ignore this.

If you have decent skills tell the agent that unless you are given the rate you agreed then they can foxtrot oscar.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Another tactic being used these days is that if there is a remote working element involved, they try to get your rate down, apparently because commute costs are lower. Could not stop laughing at that one. When will they learn?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

On the flip side I offered to extend at a % rate increase or the same rate but with a third day WFH, they declined either option so I'm not renewing. Client has just come back to say yes to either option. But I now have a new role to go to

Comment

Which sector is this in? If in finance, agent is probably on a fixed %. If not, the agent could be trying to increase their cut.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Which sector is this in? If in finance, agent is probably on a fixed %. If not, the agent could be trying to increase their cut.
                  Not necessarily.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

His newbie radar must have gotten a ping! He's smelt it on you and trying it on.

Always find out if they are on a fixed margin and if they are get them to confirm it in an email. Otherwise it's just a game of who blinks first and bearing in mind he does this for a living he knows it's likely to be you.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X