• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it Ok to tweak Job titles in CV to match that of role applying..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The OP's point may be about securing interview in the first place.
    It might be related to OPs other thread about feedback saying he is too experienced in the phone interview.

Comment

You are potentially entering in to dangerous territory here. If you had a client that had an odd job title I don't see a problem changing the title to something more industry recognised. Creating something with the intention to mislead or make you look like something you weren't then no.

Will people find out? Who knows. Agents may have old CVs on record and you've got to work very careful with linkedin. Too many changes and you are not going to be able to match CVs with your profile. I've turned down inerviews with contractors because there was enough differences between the CV I got and their linkedin profile. I don't know which is the truth so I'll pass.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Tell us what the difference is between a "program test manager" and a "test manager", in your opinion.

Also, if you change the title, you need to change the 1 or two lines of description of the role underneath as well.

And one last thing, you need to "downgrade" your ego.
        difference is that between program manager and project manager...responsibility for a larger programme than just 1/2 projects. No much difference in terms of activities.

Comment

If it's a contract role, put what you like within reason would be my approach. Make sure it matched LinkedIn. I tend now to take on contracts which are based around delivering pieces of work without a 'role title' and then afterwards I fit a suitable description around it. My current client, for internal purposes, labels me as 'Senior Project Manager' even though I'm not project managing anything. They've asked be to put this on my email signature but I've ignored it and just put the Programme I am working in without a title.
          I don't care about job titles either, but after getting some "too much experience" feedbacks what to get as close as possible to spec.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
            It doesn't make any difference if you can't prove what you were doing in your interview. The job title means less, the substance in what you write about your duties and experience in that role mean more.
            If makes difference in CV screening ..

Comment

The OP's point may be about securing interview in the first place.

exactly..need to get a chance to talk to someone face to face.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Isn't it better to say "Test Manager - xx Programme" and then "Test Manager - yyy Project", tweaking as appropriate ?
                makes sense.thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
                  It might be related to OPs other thread about feedback saying he is too experienced in the phone interview.
                  Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                    difference is that between program manager and project manager...responsibility for a larger programme than just 1/2 projects. No much difference in terms of activities.
                    Really?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Tell us what the difference is between a "program test manager" and a "test manager", in your opinion.

Also, if you change the title, you need to change the 1 or two lines of description of the role underneath as well.

And one last thing, you need to "downgrade" your ego.

Guys,

Come on - WTFH (acronym for working from home but with a random T added!?!) has got it right.

I have met people who call themselves "Programme Managers" on LinkedIn who were actually a good performing project manager when I worked with them... and vice versa.

I think if you were changing it from "Test Manager" to "Programme Director", then yes off course it's a problem.

But from "Test This" to "Test That", within reason it's not too big an issue., especially as good interviewers are veterans at spotting BS. Truth is always best, but from what I see on LinkedIn it seems that a worryingly high percentage of people like to big up their titles. Depressing but I suppose they are doing it to try and get bigger / better paying roles no doubt.

PS I interviewed a guy once for a Project Manager role on our team and he had "Programme Manager" dotted here and there on the CV... (the rest of the CV was good) but he squirmed and got uncomfortable when I started asking a number of questions on those specific Programme roles, became obvious very quickly he was a Project Manager on those too...

Point is, it's easy to find out.

Comment

Working...
                      X