• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it Ok to tweak Job titles in CV to match that of role applying..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it fair to tweak Job titles in CV to match that of role applying..??

This means downgrading titles of some of my roles to match that of job in question.

Concern is some of my CVs my last role will be 'Programme Test Manager' (correct one) and downgraded one will shows as 'Test Manager' to match that role.

Tell us what the difference is between a "program test manager" and a "test manager", in your opinion.

Also, if you change the title, you need to change the 1 or two lines of description of the role underneath as well.

And one last thing, you need to "downgrade" your ego.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

This means downgrading titles of some of my roles to match that of job in question.

Concern is some of my CVs my last role will be 'Programme Test Manager' (correct one) and downgraded one will shows as 'Test Manager' to match that role.
      If it's a contract role, put what you like within reason would be my approach. Make sure it matched LinkedIn. I tend now to take on contracts which are based around delivering pieces of work without a 'role title' and then afterwards I fit a suitable description around it. My current client, for internal purposes, labels me as 'Senior Project Manager' even though I'm not project managing anything. They've asked be to put this on my email signature but I've ignored it and just put the Programme I am working in without a title.

Comment

It doesn't make any difference if you can't prove what you were doing in your interview. The job title means less, the substance in what you write about your duties and experience in that role mean more.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
          It doesn't make any difference if you can't prove what you were doing in your interview. The job title means less, the substance in what you write about your duties and experience in that role mean more.
          The OP's point may be about securing interview in the first place.

Comment

Sometimes agencies will ask you to do this.

I am very loathe to do it. I don't mind adding covering letters or enhancing what is in my CV. However if you get 2 CVs compared with different information it can look very bad.

Amusingly I got asked about a "business analyst" role at interview the other day. When it said I did BA/dev/support. I said my CV used to say "BA/dev/support". Until I joined another bank and the onboarding compared my CV with the references! It raised a red flag!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I am very loathe to do it. I don't mind adding covering letters or enhancing what is in my CV. However if you get 2 CVs compared with different information it can look very bad.

Amusingly I got asked about a "business analyst" role at interview the other day. When it said I did BA/dev/support. I said my CV used to say "BA/dev/support". Until I joined another bank and the onboarding compared my CV with the references! It raised a red flag!
              Had forgotten about references - don't use them anymore but important for some I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Quite this - you need to be very careful when your history of previous roles is checked if you are massaging previous roles. And not just job titles but role descriptions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

Isn't it better to say "Test Manager - xx Programme" and then "Test Manager - yyy Project", tweaking as appropriate ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Isn't it better to say "Test Manager - xx Programme" and then "Test Manager - yyy Project", tweaking as appropriate ?
                    Nothing makes you put a role title in. You could just state client, project and responsibilities / achievements.

Comment

Working...
                    X