• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cooling off period??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling off period??

When I sign a contract for services (Sky, whatever, etc.) I have a 14 day cooling off period where I can cancel without consequence - does this same cooling off period apply to my IT contract?

Basically I've been on my new gig for 3 days and it's horrible, just a terrible environment plus I've had a lucrative offer elsewhere. Normally I'd see any contact through until the very end, however in this case I would make an exception of at all possible. The issue is my contract basically doesn't allow me to hand in my notice all at, this I knew when I signed, but my question is whether I'm able to cancel or get out of the contact via any other means (cool off period mentioned above, etc.)?

Thanks

Originally posted by IT Monkey View Post
    When I sign a contract for services (Sky, whatever, etc.) I have a 14 day cooling off period where I can cancel without consequence - does this same cooling off period apply to my IT contract?

Basically I've been on my new gig for 3 days and it's horrible, just a terrible environment plus I've had a lucrative offer elsewhere. Normally I'd see any contact through until the very end, however in this case I would make an exception of at all possible. The issue is my contract basically doesn't allow me to hand in my notice all at, this I knew when I signed, but my question is whether I'm able to cancel or get out of the contact via any other means (cool off period mentioned above, etc.)?

Thanks
    No you will need to find a way that the client agrees that they don't want you there. Probably telling them that its not for you and you are happy not to bill for the days would be enough...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What Eek said...

It depends on your appetite to risk though. You can become permanently unavailable. An example of which I've observed another contractor doing by emailing the client to say they'd had a car accident thus forcing the client's hand to terminating their contract a week later.
      Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 1 June 2017, 19:37.

Comment

Why on earth did you sign a contract with no notice/termination clause?

Comment

Why on earth would you think there might be some kind of cooling off period? You're providing a service not buying/using one for a start and it's a professional business contract.
          You signed up to it, you have to either see it through or inform everyone don't want to continue and pay the consequences whatever that might be, such as the commission the agency would earn for the length of the contract which to be honest would be quite reasonable given what you signed.

It's all nice getting a contract and signing up thinking you have x amount of work not caring about the terms.....until you find yourself in this situation.

Comment

Someone needs to understand what is B2B and B2C
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Man up, have a word, say its not working out and agree to not bill and walk, no (sane) client wants to be paying hundreds of pounds a day to someone that doesn't want to be there. Oh and next time make sure you have a notice period

Comment

Do you have right to substitute?

Comment

I had one very similar actually, a total silo type nightmare in an Investment Bank Front Office Reporting Role run by 1 ex TCS and one TCS.
                  The TCS guy was as bitter as they come as he was working for very little money, a total back stabber.

The way they had set things up technically was worse than feckin' terrible as was the way work was allocated.

I wanted to leave after 3 days, they managed to persuade me to stay .
                  I ignored their bully boy tactics and they then moved on to bully a new contractor, expecting him to do a lot of work for free.

They asked me to extend after 3 months, I politely declined and moved on.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Man up, have a word, say its not working out and agree to not bill and walk, no (sane) client wants to be paying hundreds of pounds a day to someone that doesn't want to be there.
                    I have just done that couple of hours ago. Started yesterday and finished today morning by 09.00. Requested the client to forego my two weeks notice. Client was happy to accept.
                    Last edited by Brummie; 2 June 2017, 14:10.

Comment

Working...
                    X