• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Patronising Job Specs - Avoid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patronising Job Specs - Avoid?

Came across this one today, made me chuckle:

"Business Analyst - Agile, Digital, E-commerce, .com projects - Large Corporate Experience

This role is for a Digital Business Analyst with current similar experience analysing and documenting requirements for .com, E-commerce and agile digital projects.

Your CV should be written as a FUNCTIONAL CV, ie briefly detailing the projects worked on with more in depth information covering the BA functions you carried out in each role and project, ie ran workshops, stakeholder management, requirements gathering, AsIs ToBe, etc. and what exactly you were accountable/responsible for in your projects.

Check your CV does not have spelling or grammatical errors - otherwise it will be rejected.
    Check your CV is written in good grammatical English - otherwise it will be rejected.

PLEASE NOTE: We do not currently have other contract BA roles so do not send your CV unless you match the requirements."

The role isn't quite my area, but personally I'd be put off by such as disdainful attitude that I'd give it a miss anyway.

From years of recruitment I can understand the frustration a manager might feel after trawling through reams of rubbish CVs, but in my opinion such an advert will only put off the good applicants. The irony is that the least qualified applicants won't read far enough to discover the nugget of wisdom that their application should maintain correct spelling!...

What's your view? Ignore such pettiness, or is it a sign of a dysfunctional team/poor manager?

Haven't we been crying out for agents/clients that would understand a functional CV rather than a bog standard types?

I'd guess the bottom lines are aimed at non English types. Looking at some of the documentation and emails the Cognizant et al types send I'd say it's a fair comment.

Would I turn down work based on an advert like that? Not on your bloody Nellie.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I like it, it shows they do know exactly what they want
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I saw this job spec as well and the high-handed tone of it very nearly put me off. It could have been worded better.

That said, having been on the other side of the process and seeing some of the cv's for business analyst, which make no mention of the business areas the applicant has worked on, or what they have delivered, I can understand the frustration of the recruiter. It is a Business Analyst role after all, and the clue is in the title. But any man and his dog is calling themselves a BA these days, and the recruiters get about 100 applicants to sift through, and the quality is not great.

I applied and got a call back. Will see if I get an interview. Competition may be fierce since many people will jump at an easier commute than commuting into London. Rate is decent too.
        Last edited by LadyPenelope; 3 May 2017, 09:01.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it imo. Much prefer that than some fluffy generic crap..

Comment

Maybe this job spec just gives you some kind of idea about the kind of competition you're up against?

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post

What's your view? Ignore such pettiness, or is it a sign of a dysfunctional team/poor manager?
              For someone to write that, they must be pretty frustrated with the type of CV they get for BA roles.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                For someone to write that, they must be pretty frustrated with the type of CV they get for BA roles.
                I often suffer the same, the inability of a lot of "BAs" to write a decent specification for build is really quite shocking..

In fact I usually end up providing more value to the required analysis than most BAs.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Last year I started a thread asking why there were so many BAs out there, as I'd seen adverts with more than 300 applicants. I'm not a BA by the way, I think I was nosing around at the time.

One person responded that they had been trying to recruit a permie BA at his place but were deluged by "chancers with little or no experience". He mentioned it was common for a business person to be seconded onto a project for 6 months, and then try and pass themselves off as a BA to another organisation. Seems to me under those circumstances the recruiter is quite reasonably trying to save themselves a load of work and grief.

Comment

It's not professional sent a CV with spelling and grammar errors, but there is some job spec that is not perfect and this one is one of them, ironic.

Comment

Working...
                    X