• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Patronising Job Specs - Avoid?"

Collapse

• Zylon
    replied
    Haha, I noticed the poor grammar of the advert too, but thought better than to mention it. In an online discussion of spelling/grammar everybody loses in the end ;-)

Interesting to see the range of opinions here. I totally understand the frustration of the manager / recruiter, but I personally think it'll fail to deter the poor quality applicants in the slightest.

When I first recruited and hadn't learned the pitfalls, I remember spending 20+ minutes on the phone with a promising candidate only to discover he was only interested in contracting for what was very clearly described as a perm role. I cursed myself and politely thanked him for wasting both our time. He applied to the very next perm role that came out too...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    A little harsh.

We will take Mr Bright, plenty of conveniences to be cleaned on the basement floor.

We like to feel that we are cutting edge cool here

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DannyBright
    Perhaps the manager can allow himself to behave arrogantly, because they company realy cool.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    It's not professional sent a CV with spelling and grammar errors, but there is some job spec that is not perfect and this one is one of them, ironic.
    Bee, I'm going to take a wild guess that you speak at least two languages, for which I salute you and say nobody's perfect, but what's wrong with the job spec?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It's not professional sent a CV with spelling and grammar errors, but there is some job spec that is not perfect and this one is one of them, ironic.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I would say to both if you don't have anything constructive to say don't say anything.

Maybe try taking a leaf out of your own book first

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Should have bolded the whole post...
    I would say to both if you don't have anything constructive to say don't say anything.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Should have bolded the whole post...

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Send

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Last year I started a thread asking why there were so many BAs out there, as I'd seen adverts with more than 300 applicants. I'm not a BA by the way, I think I was nosing around at the time.

One person responded that they had been trying to recruit a permie BA at his place but were deluged by "chancers with little or no experience". He mentioned it was common for a business person to be seconded onto a project for 6 months, and then try and pass themselves off as a BA to another organisation. Seems to me under those circumstances the recruiter is quite reasonably trying to save themselves a load of work and grief.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    For someone to write that, they must be pretty frustrated with the type of CV they get for BA roles.
    I often suffer the same, the inability of a lot of "BAs" to write a decent specification for build is really quite shocking..

In fact I usually end up providing more value to the required analysis than most BAs.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Zylon View Post

What's your view? Ignore such pettiness, or is it a sign of a dysfunctional team/poor manager?
    For someone to write that, they must be pretty frustrated with the type of CV they get for BA roles.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Maybe this job spec just gives you some kind of idea about the kind of competition you're up against?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X