• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV re-design / re-write services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every CV I send out usually comes back with;

1: Too many pages, can you condense it?

2: Not enough information, can you expand on some of the core skills?

3: Can you enhance some parts of it? (i.e. Lie)

As a consequence I have several different versions albeit with the same basic design which I've found successful over the years. Page 1 - Skills summary so HR can tick the boxes. Page 2+ brief contract summaries. Last page Quals, accreditations etc.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by super
      Have any of you ever used a CV writing/design service? I'm not a marketing person and don't think my CV is winning me enough attention from recruiters etc. so think it's time to get a pro to write it for me.

Any recommendations or suggestions on who to use (or not to use)?

If there's someone with particular knowledge of Investment Banking / finance in London then that would be ideal.

Thanks.
      I'm happy to have a look at it for you if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by super
        Have any of you ever used a CV writing/design service? I'm not a marketing person and don't think my CV is winning me enough attention from recruiters etc. so think it's time to get a pro to write it for me.

Any recommendations or suggestions on who to use (or not to use)?

If there's someone with particular knowledge of Investment Banking / finance in London then that would be ideal.

Thanks.
        My rules are:

* Ignore the "2 page" rule. Mine is 3 pages and I constantly get grief from mates for having it over the magic 2 pages and they seen to think it will get thrown in the bin. Still doesnt stop me recieving offers for at least 1-2 interviews a week even when I am not looking.

* Bullet points are your friend. Bullet point everything as its the easiest to read. Main skills / qualificatons on the first page (bottom half of mine is dedicated to just skills)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
          I'm happy to have a look at it for you if you like.
          I've dropped you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            * Ignore the "2 page" rule. Mine is 3 pages and I constantly get grief from mates for having it over the magic 2 pages and they seen to think it will get thrown in the bin. Still doesnt stop me recieving offers for at least 1-2 interviews a week even when I am not looking.

* Bullet points are your friend. Bullet point everything as its the easiest to read. Main skills / qualificatons on the first page (bottom half of mine is dedicated to just skills)

I have skills (bulletted) on the first page, with work history etc. on the second (and spilling over onto a third). I spent ages on the first page to make sure it filled one page. Recently I happened to see my c.v. as sent to the client, and the agent had stuck headers and footers on every page messing up my nice formatting ;-( That was a waste of time then.

I used to be in the position of being sent lots of c.v.s by agents, so that gave me some good pointers as to how best to do my own. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd consider a c.v. written by some professional thirdparty as a major black mark against the candidate. It doesn't look good if you can't write a decent c.v. by yourself.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              I have skills (bulletted) on the first page, with work history etc. on the second (and spilling over onto a third). I spent ages on the first page to make sure it filled one page. Recently I happened to see my c.v. as sent to the client, and the agent had stuck headers and footers on every page messing up my nice formatting ;-( That was a waste of time then.

I used to be in the position of being sent lots of c.v.s by agents, so that gave me some good pointers as to how best to do my own. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd consider a c.v. written by some professional thirdparty as a major black mark against the candidate. It doesn't look good if you can't write a decent c.v. by yourself.
              Agree entirely. 3 pages is enough, just summarise anything over about 5-6 years old, it's probably not relevant anyway.
              If you want to stop agents ******* up your formatting, protect the whole document except for the contact information.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                Agree entirely. 3 pages is enough, just summarise anything over about 5-6 years old, it's probably not relevant anyway.
                If you want to stop agents ******* up your formatting, protect the whole document except for the contact information.

I send mine as a pdf file. More hassle for them if they want to fiddle.

Comment

Originally posted by ImNotFromIndia
                  In all honesty, I wouldn't waste my money on it.
                  Search through the internet for some CVs, pick the one you like and copy the format.
                  FYI Plenty of examples of financial sector cvs here, even searchable:
                  http://www.ics.net/dreamteam/default.aspx

Comment

when was the last time you spoke to an agent who'd actually read your CV anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Su66y
                      FYI Plenty of examples of financial sector cvs here, even searchable:
                      http://www.ics.net/dreamteam/default.aspx
                      Had a look but they all seem to read "I did this, then I did that, then I did something else". I'd been advised to avoid this and focus on the specific benefits I can bring to a business and what I can achieve.

Interesting link though -- thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X