• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working at risk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I agree. This is quite a common scenario, and your analysis is almost certainly correct in that context, i.e. the only risk is not getting paid without a schedule/PO for the additional T&M.
    It is?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It is?
      A MSA with a schedule for specific T&M or FFP tasks? Yes, very common in my area. YMMV.

Comment

IMHO don't do it. Do it once and they'll do it every time.

I had a client who left it until the last minute every time. I'd pack my stuff and put it in the car. Then by about 8pm I'd get a call saying it was sorted.

In the end, I asked manager to just email confirmation it was all agreed. He got a bit funny asking why I wouldnt take his word. Why he wouldnt just write a quick email I'll never know.

When I left I heard from one of the permies that the previous contractor had worked for two weeks at the end without contract in place with just this guys word. In the end, it got canned at a higher level and the guy had to leave without payment. Manager promised to try and sort out two weeks money but he never got it.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          IMHO don't do it. Do it once and they'll do it every time.

I had a client who left it until the last minute every time. I'd pack my stuff and put it in the car. Then by about 8pm I'd get a call saying it was sorted.

In the end, I asked manager to just email confirmation it was all agreed. He got a bit funny asking why I wouldnt take his word. Why he wouldnt just write a quick email I'll never know.

When I left I heard from one of the permies that the previous contractor had worked for two weeks at the end without contract in place with just this guys word. In the end, it got canned at a higher level and the guy had to leave without payment. Manager promised to try and sort out two weeks money but he never got it.
          Yet every time you bent over and agreed, I would have gone the second time they tried this.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            Yet every time you bent over and agreed, I would have gone the second time they tried this.
            To be fair I've been in a fairly similar situation. Weekly renewals for a month and a bit that never quite landed on time on the Friday so had to give the laptop back and wait in the car park before I got the call to come in on a Monday nearly every week. Nothing else on the radar so played their game. Got a gig and just didn't turn up one Monday. Worked in my favour as I had a gig with virtually no notice. Messy but not the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              To be fair I've been in a fairly similar situation. Weekly renewals for a month and a bit that never quite landed on time on the Friday so had to give the laptop back and wait in the car park before I got the call to come in on a Monday nearly every week. Nothing else on the radar so played their game. Got a gig and just didn't turn up one Monday. Worked in my favour as I had a gig with virtually no notice. Messy but not the end of the world.
              Someone gave me a month renewal once, on the last day, it didn't happen again .

However, I did cue an alternative up first.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Just thought I'd provide an update to close off the thread. Not going in on Monday until everything is sorted out. Client understands, I'm happy. I can get to do some work on the house now :-) Thanks again for the anecdotes and input.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                  Just thought I'd provide an update to close off the thread. Not going in on Monday until everything is sorted out. Client understands, I'm happy. I can get to do some work on the house now :-) Thanks again for the anecdotes and input.
                  Happy days, well ish. Bit of a bum missing a days billing but it's not like we are on the breadline or anything. Client is happy and on board though which is always a good result.

Thanks for updating is on the outcome. We rarely find out what happened.

Comment

Working...
                  X