• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone regret going back to permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone regret going back to permie?

I have a young family and am a little tired of living out of a suitcase.
    There's a permie role within 30 miles of my home that has a decent basic (about 60% of what I've been making as a contractor). I think that if I apply I'd have a reasonable chance of getting it.

However, I'm concerned that six months in I would regret it. The performance appraisals, the development reviews, the office politics, the line management, the BS HR processes, the fixed hours, the inability to just tell people to eff off if necessary, the team meetings, seeking approval for time off, team building sessions, having to deal with staff's tulip issues....you know, all the BS that you don't have to anything like the same extent when you're contracting. Getting away from all this was an important driver in me becoming a contractor in the first place!

What are others' experiences of going back to permie? Have people generally regretted it? Or, after several years as a contractor, is it easy to just filter all of this stuff out?

HW

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    I have a young family and am a little tired of living out of a suitcase.
    There's a permie role within 30 miles of my home that has a decent basic (about 60% of what I've been making as a contractor). I think that if I apply I'd have a reasonable chance of getting it.

However, I'm concerned that six months in I would regret it. The performance appraisals, the development reviews, the office politics, the line management, the BS HR processes, the fixed hours, the inability to just tell people to eff off if necessary, the team meetings, seeking approval for time off, team building sessions, having to deal with staff's tulip issues....you know, all the BS that you don't have to anything like the same extent when you're contracting. Getting away from all this was an important driver in me becoming a contractor in the first place!

What are others' experiences of going back to permie? Have people generally regretted it? Or, after several years as a contractor, is it easy to just filter all of this stuff out?

HW
    It completely depends on the company you're thinking of joining.

Generally the bigger they are, the more inflexible and bureaucratic they are.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

So 6 months you bail out. It's more or less how you work now. Just look at it as a low paying gig for the short term and give it a go. It's just work so it's not like you are chopping your arm off or anything.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Regret is a strong term. I went back and hated it - for all manner of reasons, it just didn't work for me. I don't "regret" it, because eh, it happened - I left on good terms, I still get project work from them so it is what it is. I'll be avoiding going permie for a while though.

Main difference, though, is I went back to have a proper go - if you're just after something to tide you over then crack on!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          So 6 months you bail out. It's more or less how you work now. Just look at it as a low paying gig for the short term and give it a go. It's just work so it's not like you are chopping your arm off or anything.
          This. Do it for 6 months and if it doesn't work out it will just look like a 6 month contract on your CV if you word it right . Keep the Ltd open until you decide obviously!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            It completely depends on the company you're thinking of joining.

Generally the bigger they are, the more inflexible and bureaucratic they are.
            This - I've worked in lots of companies, the smaller the better in my opinion

Comment

If you don't want to live out of a suitcase, go for it. You need to look at your travel expenses, in my view a travelling contractor isn't a great deal better off,

Have to say I don't see a big difference between being a permie or a contractor. There are plenty of posts from contractors in "nightmare" projects.

In my view living away doesn't in any way compensate for the fact that you might have to sit through a half-hour performance review once a year. I'd rather spend half-an-hour in a performance review than 2 hours in a traffic jam on the M6 on a stormy night.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                If you don't want to live out of a suitcase, go for it. You need to look at your travel expenses, in my view a travelling contractor isn't a great deal better off,

Have to say I don't see a big difference between being a permie or a contractor. There are plenty of posts from contractors in "nightmare" projects.

In my view living away doesn't in any way compensate for the fact that you might have to sit through a half-hour performance review once a year. I'd rather spend half-an-hour in a performance review than 2 hours in a traffic jam on the M6 on a stormy night.
                See, I'm totally the opposite. Being able to pick and choose work, being able to pick and choose my own accommodation/travel arrangements, the extra control over my financial situation etc etc are worth so much to me. But, it does depend, my skillset means a reasonable amount of travel either way AND I find WFH incredible boring. I guess I'd be tempted to give a low travel permie role with a nice local office a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  See, I'm totally the opposite. Being able to pick and choose work, being able to pick and choose my own accommodation/travel arrangements, the extra control over my financial situation etc etc are worth so much to me. But, it does depend, my skillset means a reasonable amount of travel either way AND I find WFH incredible boring. I guess I'd be tempted to give a low travel permie role with a nice local office a shot.
                  Well that's the odd thing. I've not had much opportunity to be able to pick where I work in pursuit of need to end gigs and accommodation is driven by where the work is. I'm just starting my 3rd year of being away from home. It's not a problem at the moment but much of that touted flexibility hasn't really been there for me. The holidays thing is massive for me so that flexibility is great but the way I'm working general flexibility isn't really there. I am aware that is my choice though.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Well that's the odd thing. I've not had much opportunity to be able to pick where I work in pursuit of need to end gigs and accommodation is driven by where the work is. I'm just starting my 3rd year of being away from home. It's not a problem at the moment but much of that touted flexibility hasn't really been there for me. The holidays thing is massive for me so that flexibility is great but the way I'm working general flexibility isn't really there. I am aware that is my choice though.
                    I suppose what I'm getting at is that I like not being subject to the "Congrats - we've booked you the cheapest hotel we could find. Enjoy your 6 weeks!". I did 6 months a few years back in a really nice "resort" type hotel. Gym, spa, pool, restaurants etc - it was great tbh.

Comment

Working...
                    X