• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone regret going back to permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    It'll be a sad day if I ever find myself tempted by a role in middle management. We'd also have to relocate to get my commute below 90 mins each way, hence it'll continue to be contracting for me. Phew.
    Exactly, that's why I said something special.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      If it's a fixed term contract your main place of work is the employer's office, so why do you think you can claim travel expenses?
      This is why:

You can claim for journeys between home and a temporary workplace. A workplace counts as temporary if you go there for a limited duration or for a temporary purpose. But it loses its temporary status if you spend at least 40 per cent of your working time there over a period which lasts (or is likely to last) for more than 24 months.
      Hence a fixed term contract of 3/6 months is not a permanent workplace is it now? But I am only making an assumption based on my understanding of the text found on the gov.uk website.
      Last edited by Drei; 15 February 2017, 01:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
        This is why:

Hence a fixed term contract of 3/6 months is not a permanent workplace is it now? But I am only making an assumption based on my understanding of the text found on the gov.uk website.
        No but that's not how HMRC see it. It is your permanent place of work for that 3/6 months and therefore the journey is your daily commute not a business related journey.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
          Unfortunately you are incorrect.

As a fixed term worker, a temp or someone who uses a umbrella company even though the work may be considered temporary from a employment law point of view from a tax regulation point of view it is a permanent work place if the contact states you are based on the client site. This means you cannot claim back travel expenses as it comes under tax law.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Exactly, that's why I said something special.
            If you're senior enough you should be able to carve out what you want. ATM Permidom is a sellers market (particularly in the NW). I'm reporting directly to the MD of a largish branch of a Multinational, with a nice juicy pension thrown in for good measure. I'm glad I've made the move because I hear from Agents that this year permidom is getting to be even more a Sellers market and the contract market is going even further into Buyers market (and the new IR35 landscape is not even on their radar yet). I'm getting bombarded by Agencies (some of which I used as a contractor) throwing good contractors at me for ridiculous rates compared to their permie equivalents.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              Not that the people on this thread (or indeed entire message board) are a scientific sample of the contracting community but it sounds like there is a steady drift of people going Permanent again?
              Possibly. A few years ago there seemed to be a fair amount of redundancies as companies cut back and several ex permies became contractors. That made the market tougher and then there is the ICT competition which is probably driving the opportunists who imagined contracting as cash cow back to the permie world.

Naturally I have absolutely no sources for any of this and it is mainly a guesstimation.

Even more naturally I was not one of the opportunists who went back to the permie world. I was one of the true, hard core expert level consultants who reluctably took a permie roll for 20 times the money and a free helicopter and ... oh bugger off the lot of you.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Possibly. A few years ago there seemed to be a fair amount of redundancies as companies cut back and several ex permies became contractors. That made the market tougher and then there is the ICT competition which is probably driving the opportunists who imagined contracting as cash cow back to the permie world.

Naturally I have absolutely no sources for any of this and it is mainly a guesstimation.

Even more naturally I was not one of the opportunists who went back to the permie world. I was one of the true, hard core expert level consultants who reluctably took a permie roll for 20 times the money and a free helicopter and ... oh bugger off the lot of you.
                Yes and not only in the UK. I worked at a Swiss bank and a few years back, around 2013 a lot of long term contractors were not renewed and permies made redundant. That was the point where I went permie. I think I could have got something, but it would have meant travelling and the rates weren't great, they don't seemed to have changed for the last 15 years, so I opted for a local permie job.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X