• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV sent to client with 2 agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    I have never dealt with either agent, but agent 1 (the one who claims he has sent my CV) is with one of the big-name agencies. So I'm hoping that amounts to a certain level of professionalism (naive me).

I emailed agent 1 stating the case and I'll see what he says.
    I don't think that is naieve (2nd time. I've said that today. I'm getting soft). I think a lot of the agent hate round here doesn't help at all. Occasionally the odd person will play dirty games but then so do some contractors. This is their job and reputation of their agency so I think it's pretty safe to think they are above board. Be forewarned and aware of their tricks but don't cut your own nose off through some misplaced hate of all agents.

I do also think the way you deal with them makes a big difference. I think some people that appear to get screwed over regularly are part of the problem.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I don't think that is naieve (2nd time. I've said that today. I'm getting soft). I think a lot of the agent hate round here doesn't help at all. Occasionally the odd person will play dirty games but then so do some contractors. This is their job and reputation of their agency so I think it's pretty safe to think they are above board. Be forewarned and aware of their tricks but don't cut your own nose off through some misplaced hate of all agents.

I do also think the way you deal with them makes a big difference. I think some people that appear to get screwed over regularly are part of the problem.
      Agreed. I learned this the hard way in past over-zealous rate increase hard-balled negotiations. The agent was being honest and his hands were tied and my tactics made me look ridiculous. But I've been beaten by agent tactics before (dare I say I was... naive) and therefore it's hard to not tar all with the same brush.
      Last edited by heyya99; 17 January 2017, 12:33.

Comment

If you didn't reply, the agent 2 should not forward your CV without your permition! Insisting in a test is even stranger. I don't have much experience in contracting but this sounds very strange to me.

The only thing you can is to fix this. Tell the agent 2 that you already applied thru another agency and it's already in progress.

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        I had my CV sent to a client via an agency. The agent says the manager has seen the CV, likes it, but won't move until the budget is approved in around 2 weeks. In the meantime, an another agent has called for the same role. I haven't re-applied with the second agent as I'm unsure of how it will affect my application with agent 1.

Is it ok to apply with many agents? I'm guessing no, but how do I trust agent 1 to have sent my CV at all.. He might just have said that to stop another agent usurping the candidates he has sent over.

Oddly, agent 2 is requiring a coding test be done as part of CV submittal whereas agent 1 hasn't (not yet anyway. It might be required when budgets are approved yada yada).

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          If you didn't reply, the agent 2 should not forward your CV without your permition! Insisting in a test is even stranger. I don't have much experience in contracting but this sounds very strange to me.

The only thing you can is to fix this. Tell the agent 2 that you already applied thru another agency and it's already in progress.
          There you go. You don't have much experience. Tests are rare but not unheard of. Completely meaningless if you're leaving the candidate unattended at home though; they can have someone take it for them.

I've had small tests in interviews - anything from drawing a dimensional model on a whiteboard to hand-writing some SQL - but I'm generally doing more than just coding so it only forms a small part of the interview.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Totally agree.

I have only usually faced issues, actually only ever on a couple of occasions, when there were multiple agency / consultancy tiers involved.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Lets hope you don't encounter any written English tests.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                There you go. You don't have much experience. Tests are rare but not unheard of. Completely meaningless if you're leaving the candidate unattended at home though; they can have someone take it for them.

I've had small tests in interviews - anything from drawing a dimensional model on a whiteboard to hand-writing some SQL - but I'm generally doing more than just coding so it only forms a small part of the interview.
                I know that the agencies can ask for a test, what is strange for me is asking for a test if he didn't applied.

Comment

I know that the agencies can ask for a test, what is strange for me is asking for a test if he didn't applied.
                  It says it would be party of submittal. The agency should be making sure the candidates are suitable which is kind of a large part of the service they offer. They could just be trying a little too hard in this case. But we don't know.

Comment

It says it would be party of submittal. The agency should be making sure the candidates are suitable which is kind of a large part of the service they offer. They could just be trying a little too hard in this case. But we don't know.
                    Could be, but like I said, with a polite phone call shall stop with this nonsense.

Comment

It was a condition of submission. Agencies are trying to figure out if the cvs are falsified or not. While it's a reasonable tactic, it's also fundamentally flawed, as I explained.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X