• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV sent to client with 2 agents"

Collapse

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Is there any possibility for an agency to [do X]
    where [do X] is, quite literally, anything.

Ok. Forget laws, ethics, morals etc. and answer one and only one question:

Is there any possibility, no matter how remote, that doing X will ultimately result in income for the agent?

Answer that one question, and you've got your answer to your original question, in every possible situation/context.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Is there any possibility for an agency to forward the CV to the client without our permission?

Example: If you applied for 3 agencies for the same role and you start the progress with the 1st agency that contacted you, there is any possibility that the other 2 agencies sent also our CV to the client without knowing it. Please tell me a NO.
    It's possible that your cv is sent out to clients without you having spoken to that agent for a few months. Say you've applied for something and didn't get it but got an interview. You end up elsewhere. The agent from the interview gig may punt you out to other clients to see if they're interested in you, then ring you to see if you fancy it. They'll claim it doesn't happen but I've seen it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is there any possibility for an agency to forward the CV to the client without our permission?

Example: If you applied for 3 agencies for the same role and you start the progress with the 1st agency that contacted you, there is any possibility that the other 2 agencies sent also our CV to the client without knowing it. Please tell me a NO.
    Of course it's possible. I do believe we've had people on here who've been submitted for roles without even knowing the role existed even.

The root of the problem in your example is you applied to 3 agencies for the same role. That is where everything goes wrong and is what you should not be doing. It can happen if the information isn't clear but it's to be avoided at all costs.

For example you'd apply via jobserve. CV hits the agent and if you look good the agent sticks it in. The agent really should speak to you first etc but if you've hit apply then you are in and have to be ready for your CV to be submitted.

It's up to you to manage the agents by speaking to them, getting the information and making sure you are both understanding the situation. Even then some daft bugger may still stick your CV in. Just don't apply to more than one agent at a time is the only safe answer.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Insisting in a test is even stranger. I don't have much experience in contracting but this sounds very strange to me.
    It is incredibly common in America, and this practice is definitely increasing here in the UK in last couple of years in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't mean every one is going to pull every single dirty and underhand trick to gazump you as has been suggested on this thread. I'm sure it happens but to assume everyone is so you decide to try something that puts your own chances at risk I don't think is right. Each to their own.

Be prepared to play the game but jump to the worst conclusion everytime? Not me.
    To be honest, given a lot of what we see on here it looks like contractors are often part of the problem, as you stated earlier .

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    Got to agree. I once knew an ex agent who said "agents find people for jobs, not jobs for people"
    Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't mean every one is going to pull every single dirty and underhand trick to gazump you as has been suggested on this thread. I'm sure it happens but to assume everyone is so you decide to try something that puts your own chances at risk I don't think is right. Each to their own.

Be prepared to play the game but jump to the worst conclusion everytime? Not me.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    In reference to agents...

Seriously? You have got to be kidding me. Agents "doing the right thing"? Are we in la la land?
    Got to agree. I once knew an ex agent who said "agents find people for jobs, not jobs for people"

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    In reference to agents...

Possibly but you have to assume on the whole they are doing the right thing.
    Seriously? You have got to be kidding me. Agents "doing the right thing"? Are we in la la land?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    As ever the thread goes off topic/ends while we have to explain what's going to Bee.
    Consider it an interlude; I'm surely we will be back on topic at some point.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    As ever the thread goes off topic/ends while we have to explain what's going to Bee.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I know that the agencies can ask for a test, what is strange for me is asking for a test if he didn't applied.
    It was a condition of submission. Agencies are trying to figure out if the cvs are falsified or not. While it's a reasonable tactic, it's also fundamentally flawed, as I explained.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    It says it would be party of submittal. The agency should be making sure the candidates are suitable which is kind of a large part of the service they offer. They could just be trying a little too hard in this case. But we don't know.
    Could be, but like I said, with a polite phone call shall stop with this nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I know that the agencies can ask for a test, what is strange for me is asking for a test if he didn't applied.
    It says it would be party of submittal. The agency should be making sure the candidates are suitable which is kind of a large part of the service they offer. They could just be trying a little too hard in this case. But we don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    There you go. You don't have much experience. Tests are rare but not unheard of. Completely meaningless if you're leaving the candidate unattended at home though; they can have someone take it for them.

I've had small tests in interviews - anything from drawing a dimensional model on a whiteboard to hand-writing some SQL - but I'm generally doing more than just coding so it only forms a small part of the interview.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X