• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV sent to client with 2 agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV sent to client with 2 agents

I had my CV sent to a client via an agency. The agent says the manager has seen the CV, likes it, but won't move until the budget is approved in around 2 weeks. In the meantime, an another agent has called for the same role. I haven't re-applied with the second agent as I'm unsure of how it will affect my application with agent 1.

Is it ok to apply with many agents? I'm guessing no, but how do I trust agent 1 to have sent my CV at all.. He might just have said that to stop another agent usurping the candidates he has sent over.

Oddly, agent 2 is requiring a coding test be done as part of CV submittal whereas agent 1 hasn't (not yet anyway. It might be required when budgets are approved yada yada).

No. We've discussed it on here in the past and it's generally frowned upon.

The big issue is trusting whether or not the first agent has actually got your cv in front of the hiring manager or not. One option if you're unsure and really want the role is to ring the client's HR department, explaining that there's a role that you're interested in and have been approached by two different agencies. Don't mention who the agencies are, just ask HR to tell you who is on the PSL so that you know which agency to proceed with.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Putting your CV to the same client more than once does not increase your chance of getting the gig. Most agencies ask you to confirm that you will not discuss the role or accept representation from another agency.

If you are happy that agency A has put your forward then you'll just have to wait. Keep in touch with them, especially if other offers come through. Let them know that agency B also are interested in your for the role as that may galvanise them into getting their head out of their arse.

If agency A tell you they are not putting you forward, then proceed with agency B.

The story about the sign off in a couple of weeks, that happens. Some clients like to line up the team first then sort their budgets out. Others do the budget first and see what they can get for the money.

Comment

In the worst case both agents will argue with the client on who had you first and who should represent. The client will want nothing to do with either of them and bin you off. You'll get a lot of pretty nasty grief from said agencies. I've been there.

How do you think applying via agent B is going to help you if there is no signed off budget???
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you do know who the client is then it might be worth connecting with both recruiters and check their connections. If they have substantial 1st degree connections at the client then it's likley that they're a supplier. Not a science but might help. Certainly if agency 1 has no connections at the client then I'd have concerns.

The other thing I would do it contact the first agency and ask them about the test, be straight with them and say you've been called by another agency. As them to confirm in an email that they have submited your CV to the client and that they are an approved supplier. Of course this isn't legally binding but it might be enough to give you some confidence that the agency is legit.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            In the worst case both agents will argue with the client on who had you first and who should represent. The client will want nothing to do with either of them and bin you off. You'll get a lot of pretty nasty grief from said agencies. I've been there.

How do you think applying via agent B is going to help you if there is no signed off budget???

Is it ok to apply with many agents? I'm guessing no, but how do I trust agent 1 to have sent my CV at all.. He might just have said that to stop another agent usurping the candidates he has sent over.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If I would hazard a guess, OP is concerned that Agent A is either telling porkies and the CV was never sent to the client in the first place - blocking him from applying via another agency, or he is holding off for another most suitable (read lower rate) candidate he submitted to be picked instead.

The only viable way to proceed with Agent B (taking a substantial risk) is to probably tell agent B to ask if the end client has already seen your CV and only submit your application if that's not the case. This however relies on the Agent B acting honestly so...

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                Well if he hasn't sent it and you send it via the second agent it's a good thing, if he has sent it in, you'll probably get binned.

What you can try is asking the agent to ask the manager politely, whether he already has your CV, but you risk that he ignores you and he submits it anyway to get you kicked out of the running-

If you don't trust the agent, you can't really win.

I would do nothing and wait.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                  Possibly but you have to assume on the whole they are doing the right thing. I've never had a problem agents trying to cock block me but I have had experience of getting binned at the hands of two agents so I'm all in favour of not taking the risk.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have never dealt with either agent, but agent 1 (the one who claims he has sent my CV) is with one of the big-name agencies. So I'm hoping that amounts to a certain level of professionalism (naive me).

I emailed agent 1 stating the case and I'll see what he says.

Comment

Working...
                    X