• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the client/agent taking the micky?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Illustrious View Post
    Anyway, as part of the working from home I've been working extra hours to get this project wrapped for phase 1 - the encouragement being that they've got six more months work for me. Perfect. I've put long shifts in much to the displeasure of my wife.

So I've worked a load, billed only for my 8 hours and done more than any of the permie staff but literally 30 minutes ago...
    Lusty, Lusty, Lusty. You've been making the permies look bad. See Slip's post. Unless it's your own Plan B, work at same pace as the permies.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You did a good job. I am sure they will remember it and you can leave with a good handshake and a relationship that might bear fruit in the future. Argue over a few days and you can kiss all that goodbye.
      My wife just said exactly the same thing. I know there's another contractor there on another project and they went to him direct. You never know...

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Lusty, Lusty, Lusty. You've been making the permies look bad. See Slip's post. Unless it's your own Plan B, work at same pace as the permies.

qh
      I know one of the permies had his nose put out by my working remotely. He asked for the same thing, despite only living 15 miles from the office. Got a flat no

Comment

Originally posted by Illustrious View Post
        I don't think they'll go for it. For one thing, the agent is for one thing claiming it's just 7 calendar days notice.
        Could be. Should have clarified that when you got the contract.
        It still needs to be written and as far as I'm concerned if he wants to deliver it tomorrow the clock can start then
        Pointless getting wound up about this. It's just semantics that won't change a thing.

Also, the client has already expressed a desire for me to work the notice period because they are "short-staffed" on the run up to Christmas. It seems a bit like having your cake and eating it.
        Not really. Why? Still working days so expect you work as normal. What are you expecting? Gardening leave?

I've experienced something similar last year when funding was cut on a project. Terminated but told I didn't need to work my notice.
        I assume you are saying you got paid it? It happens sometimes. Remember you are a supplier to a client. There is no normal or standard. It depends on each situation.
        More annoying is that the M.D appeared in a paper last week telling everyone how the company was on target to exceed their project £6.3 Million profit :|
        What has that got to do with you. You are a 3rd party supplier and that's it. Sounds like you've gotten a bit too cushy in this gig and forgotten who and what you are.

Sorry but as you go on I think a bit of growsum is in order.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
          Exactly do as much as required to keep pace with the perms, no point pulling a Mo Farah and lapping them, I spend my 'downtime' on Safari online upskilling while the (mostly useless) perms catch up

Comment

A very important lesson to learn:

Any contract is only ever as long as the notice period. No Exceptions (except that they can be shorter than that on occasion).

You don't trade off 'free work' for future promises or lower rates for longer contracts.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              Exactly do as much as required to keep pace with the perms, no point pulling a Mo Farah and lapping them, I spend my 'downtime' on Safari online upskilling while the (mostly useless) perms catch up
              I'm not completely convinced by this and IMO there is no right or wrong and you aren't stupid just for doing it. It's highly dependant on the person and the client. I don't see there is anything wrong with putting a bit of extra effort in for clients, particularly at the beginning of an engagement. If you come in strong it could bear fruit later. The OP states he got 4 days from home when the permie didn't. Maybe his hard work did pay dividends and he just doesn't realise it.

The key here, IMO, is to do what you are comfortable with but do not expect rewards. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. Be prepared for it to come to nothing but happy days when you get flexibility or something because you've endeared yourself to a client and earned their trust. Work the exact hours you are contracted to and do the bear minimum if you want but then don't expect preferential treatment.

Comment

Could be. Should have clarified that when you got the contract.
                Hence why I'm not going to bother arguing it with the agent. Shoulda, woulda, coulda

Pointless getting wound up about this. It's just semantics that won't change a thing.
                It's a contract. Surely that's a little more then semantics? If the roles were reversed the agent would be on me in a flash..probably claiming 7 working days too.

Not really. Why? Still working days so expect you work as normal. What are you expecting? Gardening leave? Remember you are a supplier to a client. There is no normal or standard. It depends on each situation.
                Yes, I suppose I am. You can't give someone their notice on the basis that they are "surplus to requirements" then in the same breath proceed to tell them that you're short staffed and urgently need the contractor. If they're short staffed, then sorry, I'm not surplus to requirements am I?

What has that got to do with you. You are a 3rd party supplier and that's it. Sounds like you've gotten a bit too cushy in this gig and forgotten who and what you are.
                You're right, that probably has nothing to do with me. But this isn't a business that's struggling. I suppose I can only go by what my own moral compass would do if the roles were reversed. I suppose I'd bear in mind that the contract was accepted on the basis that there would be work until February at least, that I'd only just been talking to the contractor about an extension of up to six months. I'd be aware that a project had just been canned and that three full time devs were now open for the role but I'd also be acutely aware of the fact I'd just been in the local rag talking about how much money were making, that I'd just been to the Christmas party and didn't drink so I could show off my new R8 and that the staff I have now "free" are actually on holiday until new year anyway.

But yes, it's business. And I shouldn't expect other people to do/think what I would do. But since I'm a business too, so shouldn't I be looking at recouping anything that I'm owed contractually?

Comment

No where did they say they'll were struggling. You said a permie resource got freed up so they replaced the temp resource. That's how it should be. There is work till Feb but something has changed so it's no longer you.

Business isn't always about clawing back everything you think you deserve (arguably). You should never expect payment without working it. Period. We get paid per days work.

When you get a call in the future for a good piece of work that does last as it should those few days you might have argued will look trivial.

Head up, shoulders back and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm not completely convinced by this and IMO there is no right or wrong and you aren't stupid just for doing it. It's highly dependant on the person and the client. I don't see there is anything wrong with putting a bit of extra effort in for clients, particularly at the beginning of an engagement. If you come in strong it could bear fruit later. The OP states he got 4 days from home when the permie didn't. Maybe his hard work did pay dividends and he just doesn't realise it.

The key here, IMO, is to do what you are comfortable with but do not expect rewards. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. Be prepared for it to come to nothing but happy days when you get flexibility or something because you've endeared yourself to a client and earned their trust. Work the exact hours you are contracted to and do the bear minimum if you want but then don't expect preferential treatment.
                    Yeah maybe I was being a bit flippant there my point was yes work hard, deliver, don't take the p!ss but also don't work 12 hours a day to lick the MD's ar$e while he pats you on the head, chanting 'good boy', telling you you're his favourite and whispering sweet nothings about extension promises in your ear
                    Last edited by SlipTheJab; 20 December 2016, 17:28.

Comment

I sympathise with the op. It sounds like you have done a good job and put yourself out in the hope of getting more work. Perfectly reasonable.

Unfortunately, as others have said, we are hired help. We get paid when we are needed. It would be unreasonable to expect a client to keep on an external resource when they have internals with no work.

Leave on good terms, have a good break and start again. Be proud that you did a good job. If you leave well then there's a fair chance you'll be back. Leave badly and all the good stuff will be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X