• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sectors - any to avoid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Banking, early stage startups (2 guys with an idea and no idea how to run a business), PS, Fintech (if all they do is debt, blockchain is interesting though), digital agencies (insane deadlines, no specs).
    Why banking? Never had any issues with banking once you're in the door; granted, some bugger you around with the contractual stage and there are the rate cuts but the rates still tend to be higher than elsewhere, even with rate cuts.

Digital can be good if they're *properly* agile to see how it should be done.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Freud View Post
      Thanks. Perfect explanation. Got it.
      Not quite. The key factor in an IR35 case is an "irreducible level of mutuality of obligation". There will always be some mutuality - after all, you would rather like to be paid for work done - but it's the nature and degree of mutuality which is important. Which is not a lot of help to anyone who hasn't been studying the minutiae of IR35 case law for several years, which is 99% of us.

Another good reason for ensuring your IR35 support team is on top of their game.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Why banking? Never had any issues with banking once you're in the door; granted, some bugger you around with the contractual stage and there are the rate cuts but the rates still tend to be higher than elsewhere, even with rate cuts.

Digital can be good if they're *properly* agile to see how it should be done.
        Banking? Long time to hire (I always get a new role before they bother to set up first-stage interview), rate cuts (see last year), furlough (see last year), contracts that heavily restrict what I can do outside of the contract (I have IP that I need to take care of from time to time and I cannot be arsed to beg the legal dept to let me do what I've always done), skills rot (having to work with old tech that leaves you unemployable in the long term), dress code. I think that covers it. I am good enough to get banking-level rates outside of the banking sector and not worry about furlough or rate cuts. And I get to play with new tech which helps me get another contract before I finish the first one and keep my rates high.

DA's are notorious for selling stuff first, consulting developers later. Like selling clients apps that aren't compatible with Facebook T&Cs, then telling devs "you guys figure it out".
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

There are two certainties in life (3 if you include NLyUK):
          Death and Taxes. (According to Bullock)

Therefore sectors where there should always be work will be medical and government.
          You could argue that War is also a certainty, in which case defence is also a sector to consider.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've been with public sector (previous was private) for the last year.
            It has been bloody, chaotic, over bureaucratic and a real mess. However the project has added to the quality and diversity of my CV.
            I try to keep it public/private sector mix as much as possible and would not rule out public sector in the future if the right programme/project came up.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
              I've been with public sector (previous was private) for the last year.
              It has been bloody, chaotic, over bureaucratic and a real mess. However the project has added to the quality and diversity of my CV.
              I try to keep it public/private sector mix as much as possible and would not rule out public sector in the future if the right programme/project came up.
              You are aware of what's happening in PS come April aren't you?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You are aware of what's happening in PS come April aren't you?
                I honestly don't know what to make of it all. I won't be there after the end of January in any case and I keep hearing things may or may not change. Will just keep an eye on the situation and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                  I honestly don't know what to make of it all. I won't be there after the end of January in any case and I keep hearing things may or may not change. Will just keep an eye on the situation and see.
                  Best becareful. There are many 100's if not thousands of other contractors keeping their eye on it as well. As soon as something happens you are gonna be part of a stampede in to a very very dead market.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Best becareful. There are many 100's if not thousands of other contractors keeping their eye on it as well. As soon as something happens you are gonna be part of a stampede in to a very very dead market.
                    Good advice. My area is being squeezed as it is. I am being contacted almost daily by agencies trying to 'tempt' me with fixed term contract offers paying a fraction of what I get as Ltd. The future is not looking bright at all, but mustn't grumble. I did well out of it. Lost my dad this year and one of my happiest memories is of him chilling out next to a pool in our huge rented holiday villa in Florida, glass of rum and black at his side. Contracting paid for all the perks.

Comment

Working...
                    X