• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sectors - any to avoid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Everyone is different.

I won't touch "digital agencies" (at the moment anyway) as I've heard some pretty bad things about them, and from what I can tell they generally pay poorly (comparatively) and less likely to get extensions (which for some may be against the ethos of contracting, but I do prefer extension and longer contracts generally, while keeping an eye on IR35 of course!)

Contractor buddy of mine has vowed to avoid big financials from now on, after working in many over his contracting career.
    I've contracted at one and it was a great place to work. Really relaxed working environment, no dress code, a big professional Nespresso machine with a healthy supply of capsules.

Best of all, they had a "Tea lady" who came round with a tea and coffee tray. Except on Fridays it was loaded with beer and cider.

Lots of autonomy too - I was basically given a website design and wireframes to build and went off and did it how I liked.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      One man's trash is another man's treasure. I know of some people that like NHS, local councils etc. because you can sit there doing nothing and getting paid for it. Which is one of the reasons for them being tulip for any sane person.
      My idea of hell!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        My idea of management!
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
          I've contracted at one and it was a great place to work. Really relaxed working environment, no dress code, a big professional Nespresso machine with a healthy supply of capsules.

Best of all, they had a "Tea lady" who came round with a tea and coffee tray. Except on Fridays it was loaded with beer and cider.

Lots of autonomy too - I was basically given a website design and wireframes to build and went off and did it how I liked.
          NO YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

just shows you, everyone hears different things, experiences different things, and might be totally wrong about the next one.

Comment

NO YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

just shows you, everyone hears different things, experiences different things, and might be totally wrong about the next one.
            Very true, even when contracting for different teams in the same firm.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

NO YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

2 things you said that were probably true though - the rate wasn't great (probably about average for Manchester) and I didn't get an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                PS and Retail Banking for me.
                I have just bet myself £50 that you have worked for LBG
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I think Ship Building in the North East and mining in Yorkshire are sectors to avoid. Having said that, both appear to have better prospects than software development in the London banking sector.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    I think Ship Building in the North East and mining in Yorkshire are sectors to avoid. Having said that, both appear to have better prospects than software development in the London banking sector.
                    There be Coal in thar hills, lad

You could always hold out for fracking
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      There be Coal in thar hills, lad

You could always hold out for fracking
                      is that the latest javascript framework? fracking.js

Comment

Working...
                      X