• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sectors - any to avoid?"

Collapse

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Best becareful. There are many 100's if not thousands of other contractors keeping their eye on it as well. As soon as something happens you are gonna be part of a stampede in to a very very dead market.
    Good advice. My area is being squeezed as it is. I am being contacted almost daily by agencies trying to 'tempt' me with fixed term contract offers paying a fraction of what I get as Ltd. The future is not looking bright at all, but mustn't grumble. I did well out of it. Lost my dad this year and one of my happiest memories is of him chilling out next to a pool in our huge rented holiday villa in Florida, glass of rum and black at his side. Contracting paid for all the perks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    I honestly don't know what to make of it all. I won't be there after the end of January in any case and I keep hearing things may or may not change. Will just keep an eye on the situation and see.
    Best becareful. There are many 100's if not thousands of other contractors keeping their eye on it as well. As soon as something happens you are gonna be part of a stampede in to a very very dead market.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    You are aware of what's happening in PS come April aren't you?
    I honestly don't know what to make of it all. I won't be there after the end of January in any case and I keep hearing things may or may not change. Will just keep an eye on the situation and see.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    I've been with public sector (previous was private) for the last year.
    It has been bloody, chaotic, over bureaucratic and a real mess. However the project has added to the quality and diversity of my CV.
    I try to keep it public/private sector mix as much as possible and would not rule out public sector in the future if the right programme/project came up.
    You are aware of what's happening in PS come April aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    I've been with public sector (previous was private) for the last year.
    It has been bloody, chaotic, over bureaucratic and a real mess. However the project has added to the quality and diversity of my CV.
    I try to keep it public/private sector mix as much as possible and would not rule out public sector in the future if the right programme/project came up.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    There are two certainties in life (3 if you include NLyUK):
    Death and Taxes. (According to Bullock)

Therefore sectors where there should always be work will be medical and government.
    You could argue that War is also a certainty, in which case defence is also a sector to consider.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Why banking? Never had any issues with banking once you're in the door; granted, some bugger you around with the contractual stage and there are the rate cuts but the rates still tend to be higher than elsewhere, even with rate cuts.

Digital can be good if they're *properly* agile to see how it should be done.
    Banking? Long time to hire (I always get a new role before they bother to set up first-stage interview), rate cuts (see last year), furlough (see last year), contracts that heavily restrict what I can do outside of the contract (I have IP that I need to take care of from time to time and I cannot be arsed to beg the legal dept to let me do what I've always done), skills rot (having to work with old tech that leaves you unemployable in the long term), dress code. I think that covers it. I am good enough to get banking-level rates outside of the banking sector and not worry about furlough or rate cuts. And I get to play with new tech which helps me get another contract before I finish the first one and keep my rates high.

DA's are notorious for selling stuff first, consulting developers later. Like selling clients apps that aren't compatible with Facebook T&Cs, then telling devs "you guys figure it out".

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Freud View Post
    Thanks. Perfect explanation. Got it.
    Not quite. The key factor in an IR35 case is an "irreducible level of mutuality of obligation". There will always be some mutuality - after all, you would rather like to be paid for work done - but it's the nature and degree of mutuality which is important. Which is not a lot of help to anyone who hasn't been studying the minutiae of IR35 case law for several years, which is 99% of us.

Another good reason for ensuring your IR35 support team is on top of their game.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Banking, early stage startups (2 guys with an idea and no idea how to run a business), PS, Fintech (if all they do is debt, blockchain is interesting though), digital agencies (insane deadlines, no specs).
    Why banking? Never had any issues with banking once you're in the door; granted, some bugger you around with the contractual stage and there are the rate cuts but the rates still tend to be higher than elsewhere, even with rate cuts.

Digital can be good if they're *properly* agile to see how it should be done.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Banking, early stage startups (2 guys with an idea and no idea how to run a business), PS, Fintech (if all they do is debt, blockchain is interesting though), digital agencies (insane deadlines, no specs).
    I had quite a good six months with a Digital Agency! You just have to manage them properly.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I tried the site search here but will now also try Google. Thx
    Yeah it's trash but thankfully the google one is pretty darn good.

Leave a comment:

• Freud
    replied
    But that, at best is far too simplistic and at worst wrong. MoO is about offering work AFTER the current identified piece has been completed. Not turning up because there isn't work is part of the Time and Materials way we work. There could be a lull in the current offering due to a change freeze period and the client asks you not to come in. That's because we are paid for a days work and they have that option, just as we have when we want to go on holiday.
    Thanks.

Freud, you need to use the search as I mentioned in your first post. If you type in MOO site:forums.contractoruk.com in to google you'll get about 1000 results where MoO is discussed in great detail. As it's been done a lot there will be a ton of links and the like. Might take a bit of digging through but should provide a ton of very useful info (and a ton of crap as well though) to read.
    I tried the site search here but will now also try Google. Thx

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Thanks. Perfect explanation. Got it.
    Just don't abuse it; I heard of one contractor using MoO as an excuse for taking loads of time off and getting binned off because he took too much time off for the statement of work to be met.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Moo means mutuality of obligation. If you are employed you need to turn up and your employer needs to pay you even if there is no work todo.

As a contractor you can decide when you turn up and your client can announce that you don't need to turn up as they have nothing for you to do.
    But that, at best is far too simplistic and at worst wrong. MoO is about offering work AFTER the current identified piece has been completed. Not turning up because there isn't work is part of the Time and Materials way we work. There could be a lull in the current offering due to a change freeze period and the client asks you not to come in. That's because we are paid for a days work and they have that option, just as we have when we want to go on holiday.

Freud, you need to use the search as I mentioned in your first post. If you type in MOO site:forums.contractoruk.com in to google you'll get about 1000 results where MoO is discussed in great detail. As it's been done a lot there will be a ton of links and the like. Might take a bit of digging through but should provide a ton of very useful info (and a ton of crap as well though) to read.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X