• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would be best choice here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be best choice here?

I am contracting in Canary Wharf, had some issues, invoked notice period on Friday the week before and and started applying. Last week Monday, client had a meeting with me and convinced me to stay. Promised and almost removed all blockers that made me invoke notice period. However, I received calls based on my earlier application from Friday (when I invoked notice period) and now I have received the offer (just few buildings away in Canary Wharf). Rates are better than current rate by about 15%.

Now I am in a dilemma. Current contract is till Dec (after taking a cut of 5%). Should I continue with current client (probably helps build long term working relationship) or Move (as the rates are better but takes time to establish in a new place, there might be a 10-20% cut within months of taking the offer). Due Brexit there might be a possibility that I may need to look for a new gig after December wherever I am.

I am confused. I understand at the end of day, its my choice and interest but would appreciate some inputs.

I don't want to be rude but how can we add anything useful to this when we know absolutely nothing of the detail and your personal circumstance.

You'd be better off asking here.

http://www.ask8ball.net
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You are an adult.

Being an adult means you have to make your own decisions.

All I can say is from permies I know who have been offered better pay to stay at an employer when they decided they want to leave, they end up leaving within the next 6 months anyway.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Please share the information below for the panel to be able to help:

- Total money available in your Company bank account (pref in GBP) (If Ltd company)
        - Total money available in your personal bank account (in GBP)
        - Total personal liabilities (Mortgages, loans, ex-wife fees etc)
        - Total company liabilities

The above information will help us calculate your warchest. Once we know that, we will be able to comment.

If you don't have the time to provide the information above, please click here.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I don't want to be rude but how can we add anything useful to this when we know absolutely nothing of the detail and your personal circumstance.

Welcome to Ask 8-Ball, The Ultimate Online Oracle
          :-) Looks like thats the best way to decide

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Please share the information below for the panel to be able to help:

- Total money available in your Company bank account (pref in GBP) (If Ltd company)
            - Total money available in your personal bank account (in GBP)
            - Total personal liabilities (Mortgages, loans, ex-wife fees etc)
            - Total company liabilities

The above information will help us calculate your warchest. Once we know that, we will be able to comment.

If you don't have the time to provide the information above, please click here.

HTH
            My War chest is in a strong position, Can live without contract for another 2 years. Mortgage, Ex-wives no longer exist (made them disappear ... lol).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Mumsnet
              FTFY

Slipping standards NLUK

Comment

Originally posted by itjobs View Post
                I am contracting in Canary Wharf, had some issues, invoked notice period on Friday the week before and and started applying. Last week Monday, client had a meeting with me and convinced me to stay. Promised and almost removed all blockers that made me invoke notice period. However, I received calls based on my earlier application from Friday (when I invoked notice period) and now I have received the offer (just few buildings away in Canary Wharf). Rates are better than current rate by about 15%.

Now I am in a dilemma. Current contract is till Dec (after taking a cut of 5%). Should I continue with current client (probably helps build long term working relationship) or Move (as the rates are better but takes time to establish in a new place, there might be a 10-20% cut within months of taking the offer). Due Brexit there might be a possibility that I may need to look for a new gig after December wherever I am.

I am confused. I understand at the end of day, its my choice and interest but would appreciate some inputs.
                You decided to leave so leave... Personally I would have already gone - cut my rate and I would ask at 4pm* on the last day who I should hand my laptop to....

* I don't work in finance explicitly because of those tricks...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I would not agreed to have stayed.

Now you have agreed you should stick with it. Clients accept a certain amount of messing about. You are about to cross the line.

Comment

Originally posted by itjobs View Post

I would stay if the reasons for you wanting to leave have been addressed. Play safe.

Comment

Working...
                    X